Lenco Heaven
September 16, 2024, 08:03:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 8 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jet  (Read 10754 times)
jon

Jet
« on: June 10, 2009, 05:16:45 AM »

Alright, I feel the itch again... Especially since I have some slate on order.

So the plan is to do a double decker slate job in black slate with a brushed stainless steel PTP3 (hopefully Peter has some left grin).

The PTP3 plinth will be the same size as the PTP3 - so really minimalist. The armboard area will be the same depth and enough to mount my OL Conqueror or an air-bearing arm...

I will keep it in line with Candy's concept of a separate armboard mounted on the lower layer.

I will make a diagram and post this next. Nordost Pulsar points throughout!

This will be a slow build:

I have to get the slate (take a month to arrive).
Get the cutouts done (more money so more saving).
Get the top plate (more money, so more saving).
Get another deck (hopefully on its way, but the seller has gone very quiet which is disturbing)
Get the Pulsar points (yet more money!)

Costs:

Slate - GBP50
Cutouts - anyone's guess
PTP3 - GBP160 + GBP32
Deck - GBP100
Pulsar points - GBP160

For a total of GBP500 + cutout costs...

Just to show how much it costs... sort of! Actually when I look at that it is ridiculous that I should be able to spend as little as GBP600 and end up with a top of the range deck. Add in my tonearm (cost me GBP1100) and cartridge (GBP290) and I am still less than GBP2000... Over half of which is the tonearm.

And I have seen people shell out 10 times that and still be unhappy.

Please let me build a system that is a bit forgiving on what I find in thrift shops for a handful of pennies and still is able to deliver the goods on good pressings.

(Syncopeter)
reinderspeter
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 10:00:03 AM »

Alright, I feel the itch again...

Well, it was about time, wasn't it wink

Good luck on your endeavour it will be magnificent (although I would not use a separate arm plinth angel)

Peter

PTP Audio for Lenco based idler drive Turntables, Chipamps and Power Controllers.
ian
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 10:41:46 AM »

The itch is a dangerous thing.  wink You can do the cut outs yourself, it's slow, dirty work but not that difficult.  Get yourself and RS-A1 and save a lot of grief regarding arm boards!  You won't be disappointed with this arm.

what you hear depends on where you're sitting
daiwok

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 12:42:02 PM »

The itch is a dangerous thing.  wink You can do the cut outs yourself, it's slow, dirty work but not that difficult.  Get yourself and RS-A1 and save a lot of grief regarding arm boards!  You won't be disappointed with this arm.

Its a PLONK and PLAY  laugh

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
brian
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 02:16:10 PM »

Waiting for you to try dangling a GE RPX on the end  cool
jon

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2009, 12:28:47 AM »

As promised... the design in picture format

Please let me build a system that is a bit forgiving on what I find in thrift shops for a handful of pennies and still is able to deliver the goods on good pressings.

(Syncopeter)
daiwok

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2009, 12:29:59 AM »

That is very similar to my new PTP3  grin looks like great minds think a like  cool

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=1026.new#new
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 12:36:17 AM by daiwok » Logged

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
jon

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2009, 05:07:57 AM »

That is very similar to my new PTP3  grin looks like great minds think a like  cool

http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=1026.new#new
Yes, I see what you mean.  I looked at the Slatedeck design concept and saw the integrated (yet separate) armboard and went that way!

I like what I hear in Candy, it has blown away several supposedly better decks. A lot is the tonearm, but a significant portion is the separate armboard. Since you are the second person (after myself) to try this out, I would be very interested in your findings!

(Syncopeter)
reinderspeter
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2009, 08:43:49 AM »

That looks VERY hefty, Jon shocked If this isn't going to sound good nothing will wink

Peter

PTP Audio for Lenco based idler drive Turntables, Chipamps and Power Controllers.
jloveys

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2009, 08:57:59 AM »

Very nice Jon, I always had a fascination for derrick oil platforms !  azn

I am waiting for another PTP3/Slate project that looks promising. May the Force be with you !
Best,
Jean.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 09:45:46 AM by jloveys » Logged

JEAN ...
jon

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2009, 10:51:19 AM »

I saw your comments on David's deck about double deckers as opposed to single deckers.

So I should point out I am building a double decker Garrard 401. I will admit to being slack about posting on this, forgive me! I noted your comments about separate armboards and single as opposed to double plinths.

I will test on the 401 build whether 2 decks make a difference as opposed to a single deck. For me it is important since I intend selling the 401 to finance future upgrades. I hope that I am right... as ever I am quite prepared to be wrong!

As to the separate armboard position that you hold, as ever I beg to differ and will maintain that it does make a difference; for me, at least! I regret I cannot prove whether you are right or wrong on this one; I am not in a position to prove you wrong, so my position is based on belief rather than proof (empirical or otherwise)!

I had thought of an alternative name to Jet and that was Black 'n' Decker! I decided that Jet, in this day of trademark protectionism, was the better name!

(Syncopeter)
jon

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:35:07 PM »

Woody Lenco Airmail Service does it again!

I picked up a cheap GL75 off of eBay the other day and Woody volunteered to send it to me!

So hats off to Woody, he is the best!

grin Kiss grin
 Kiss grin Kiss
 grin Kiss grin

(Syncopeter)
rfgumby
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2009, 01:06:18 AM »

So hats off to Woody, he is the best!

I wouldn't say "the best" but he's pretty darn fine.  The best I ever had was a pretty girl, my first love actually...

Woody isn't my first love by the way.  Although he looks the part when he's wearing his kilt.   tongue

Scott

Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows    -Bob Dylan
jon

« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2009, 01:10:26 AM »

Woody isn't my first love by the way.  Although he looks the part when he's wearing his kilt.   tongue
Phew!

(Syncopeter)
catssquirrel
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2009, 10:04:57 AM »

I don't know how the Pulsar Points are constructed, but they look as though they transmit vibrations rather than isolate it. Jons design uses them to separate the blocks of slate, but if the Pulsar Points are transmissive, they will not isolate the different parts of the player. Nor is there any easy way of adding damping, if needed.

I like the way he uses a separate arm pod, but perhaps misses a trick by not isolating/damping it. I suppose its not unlike Darwin, though each is at different ends of the 'mass spectrum', I would have thought some kind of isolation in the design an advantage.

The oil platform is not unlike a deck, it even has two arms, self-lubricated bearing and damping fluid.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2009, 10:07:45 AM by catssquirrel » Logged
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 8 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: