Lenco Heaven
September 07, 2024, 02:03:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Larson LP720 - Omni directional speakers  (Read 7531 times)
DeccaSG

The best thing I make will be tomorrow

« on: April 05, 2013, 04:10:35 PM »

I bought some Sonab OA5's from the local charity shop a couple of days ago and the nice lady there said they often get hifi gear but they can't sell it due to electrical testing etc. I left her with my number so she could give me a call if anything came in and I'd take a look for her. She rang me today and I went down to collect another set of speakers. More omni-directionals  smiley

There's a 10" downward firing woofer behind that cloth  shocked

In really good condition with only the odd signs of aging here and there. These use a combination of SEAS 10" woofers and tweeters in a really cool and eye catching style. They seem solidly built from teak and the pyramid shape adds to their stability.
They sound pretty decent too. The usual open and airy sound you hear from the omni design but with surprisingly strong and tight bass notes. They don't quite have the sparkle in the mid and treble that the Sonab's have but they are smooth and easy on the ear and the low down grunt gives them a nice full bodied sound. I think I slightly favour these over the Sonabs due to extra weight and authority.
In the 60's & 70's it seems that our Scandidavian cousins were pretty damn good at designing and building stylish and excellent sounding speakers  grin
These will have to go at some point though  cry I've just too much stuff and my future speaker plans will involve something more orthadox.

May your midnights, and your daytimes, turn into love of life
Allan
Johannes LeBong

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 04:48:45 PM »

Hi Allan,

Nice piece of furniture!

But from the technical point of view, I think this design is not the best idea.
It is better for coherence of sound when the woofer/midrange and the tweeter are not so far away from each other.
I would predict the sound is not very precise.

Is there a diffuser on the tweeter or it this one directing to the room ceiling.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 04:54:39 PM by Johannes LeBong » Logged

Best regards, Jo
decca4

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 05:15:57 PM »

Hi Allan,

Nice to see you back and active again.

The OA5s were my first speakers. Although they sound nice, the later designs were a huge improvement. I have some OA 12s and OA 14s. They are very very good indeed.

There is quite a following around these speakers and the late designer Stig Carlsson. Stig Carlrsson was a highly educated and gifted audio engineer. He pioneered in the designing of these kind of speakers. The backbone of the design of most of his speakers was to have the back wall acting as an integrated part of the design. Although Stig Carlsson has past away there is still a lot of updating of his speakers carried out by devoted people. All of the speakers from small to big give a surprisingly pleasant musical presentation regardless of the type of music that you are playing. I would really recommend everyone to listen to any of these if you get a chance.

On the below link you will find a lot of info, about the speakers and Stig Carlsson, in english.

http://www.carlssonplanet.com/index.php

Stefan
DeccaSG

The best thing I make will be tomorrow

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 07:07:42 PM »

Hi Allan,

Nice piece of furniture!

But from the technical point of view, I think this design is not the best idea.
It is better for coherence of sound when the woofer/midrange and the tweeter are not so far away from each other.
I would predict the sound is not very precise.

Is there a diffuser on the tweeter or it this one directing to the room ceiling.

That's right Jo, they are not the most precise speakers but they are pleasing to listen to. No diffusers just the normal tweeter firing straight up. They do look cool though.

Hi Allan,

Nice to see you back and active again.

The OA5s were my first speakers. Although they sound nice, the later designs were a huge improvement. I have some OA 12s and OA 14s. They are very very good indeed.

There is quite a following around these speakers and the late designer Stig Carlsson. Stig Carlrsson was a highly educated and gifted audio engineer. He pioneered in the designing of these kind of speakers. The backbone of the design of most of his speakers was to have the back wall acting as an integrated part of the design. Although Stig Carlsson has past away there is still a lot of updating of his speakers carried out by devoted people. All of the speakers from small to big give a surprisingly pleasant musical presentation regardless of the type of music that you are playing. I would really recommend everyone to listen to any of these if you get a chance.

On the below link you will find a lot of info, about the speakers and Stig Carlsson, in english.

http://www.carlssonplanet.com/index.php

Hi Stefan,
It's good to be back.  Thanks for the link.
I too think everyone should try and have a listen if they ever get the chance.  The presentation is a little different but pleasant nonetheless.  I can understand now why they have an enthusiastic following.
I've also got some OA5's on another topic if you haven't already seen.

May your midnights, and your daytimes, turn into love of life
Allan
happybadger76

John

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:04:36 PM »

Allan

Sooo jealous ive been after a set of these for a while.
John

Everyday is a winding road.
decca4

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 11:45:26 AM »

Allan

Sooo jealous ive been after a set of these for a while.
John

The Larsons or the Carlssons?

Stefan
happybadger76

John

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »

The larsons  grin

skippingjack

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 01:09:03 PM »

There's some on gumtree at the moment

Kick Out the Jams Melon Farmers!
happybadger76

John

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »

Thanks guys
Waiting for a reply from the seller

happybadger76

John

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 06:18:12 AM »

Hi guys
The seller finally got back to me they have gone...oh well more money for record store day wink

BoringSounds

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 01:26:17 PM »

I just uploaded the tech specs for this model in my post about their smaller siblings...
http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=12434.0
atb

Just call me David or Dave...

Somebody was trying to tell me that CDs are better than vinyl because they don't have any surface noise. I said: 'Listen mate, 'life' has surface noise.' - John Peel
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: