Lenco Heaven
September 10, 2024, 02:55:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: B55 / L75 Motor swap: A question  (Read 1231 times)
davidtart

« on: July 14, 2013, 05:37:23 PM »

Hiya -

I'm about to swap motors (B55 to L75) so I can get my euro L75 running here in the states (The B55 has the US powered motor).

The question I have has to do with the wires that run from the on/off switch to the motor.  On the L75, there is a red capacitor at the on/off junction box (see pictures).  I'm guessing that this capacitor is designed to handle a different electrical current, but am not sure.  So . . . do I:

1.  Leave the L75's wires that run to the on/off switch attached, capacitor and all, and simply disconnect them from the old motor - reconnecting them as they are on the B55 motor?

2.  Disconnect the L75's wires, and capacitor from the on/off junction box, then simply re-solder those same wires from the B55 motor?

I've included pics for reference.  There is one pic of the bottom plate of the L75, one of the B55, then a close-up of the on/off junction box for each.  The one with the red capacitor is the L75.

Thanks in advance for your help!

David

davidtart

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 06:50:40 PM »

Got impatient, just went ahead and left the wires and capacitor from the L75 as were . . . swapped motors, turned it on, motor is going just fine . . .

I'll report back when I get it all put together.  Am going to look into a possible tone-arm swap first.

David
wer

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 08:09:50 PM »

If nothing else, i'd suggest changing the spark suppressor capacitor. Even if it is ok, the spaghetti on the leads look overdone.

Werner (wer - just my initials, not a nick!)
No esoteric audio equipment (except for my wife)
davidtart

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »

Okay, here's a pick of my L75's new home:

Some people have warned me "oh, those old stereo cabinets are echo chambers - really bad places for turntables".  In order to combat this problem I have refitted the turntable seat with a custom spruce plinth, weighted the cabinet with sand, and put the legs into sand-filled rubber feet.  Seems to work well, I don't pick up any hum whatsoever.

I did a quick test of the Lenco against my VPI traveler, and so far, the jury is out, in terms of which one sounds better.  Next step, replace the tone arm!

I was excited about this project, and it's turning out to be as fun as expected. 

David
jonahsdad

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 04:05:53 PM »

Hi David,
Where in 60hz land are you (might want to put it in your profile)?  The capacitor is a spark suppressor.  Without it you can get a nasty pop when you switch on or off.  I'm a little puzzled not seeing one on the B55.  Sometimes they are on the switch, like the red one, sometimes they are on the motor itself. 

I like the look of the cabinet, very 60's modern.  The echo chamber is probably a critique similar to that of playing with a dust cover on.  So play with the lid up and it's fine? 

Put in a Jelco 250ST, a straight drop-in replacement and significant upgrade. 

Good luck and report back!

Phil

Raffy

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 07:45:55 PM »

Hi David,
I'm looking at doing just what you have mentioned in this thread- replacing a 50 Hz euro motor in my Lenco L75 with a B55 60 Hz motor. 
I'd love some advice - perhaps what you encountered that I might be aware of?  Also, the pictures you posted are no longer visible on here.
I realize you posted almost 10 years ago, but thought I'd ask just the same.
Thanks-
Raphael
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 12:43:59 PM »

Hi David,
I'm looking at doing just what you have mentioned in this thread- replacing a 50 Hz euro motor in my Lenco L75 with a B55 60 Hz motor. 
I'd love some advice - perhaps what you encountered that I might be aware of?  Also, the pictures you posted are no longer visible on here.
I realize you posted almost 10 years ago, but thought I'd ask just the same.
Thanks-
Raphael

The 60Hz motor is straight drop in. Note position of each spring while removing the old motor and replace the springs at exactly the same position as before, that is the only point to be taken care of.

Regards,

Anwesh

Raffy

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 01:05:07 AM »

thank you Anwesh!
I might have missed your answer to this question but am seeing it now. 
Raph wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: