Lenco Heaven
October 16, 2024, 09:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 ... 11 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do you have a favourite cassette deck?  (Read 13399 times)
williamsunique

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 03:17:44 PM »

You and me both Paul, I wonder if we are of a similar vintage? grin

Steve.

I'm 63 Steve, so not that difference.

Paul
fetteler

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »

I'm 63 Steve, so not that difference.

Paul

occasion14 occasion14 occasion14

Steve.

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

I try to spell correctly -  sometimes the dyslexia wnis!
richard

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 03:55:08 PM »

Andre,

Regarding the head(s) in my Dual cassette deck, you wrote:

@ Richard

Maybe Rotsch has a solution for you? Tapeheads are fairly easy to replace. I learned a trick from the Tandberg's owners manual on how to set bias with a partially cut open cassette.

Rotsch: do you?

My favorite stereo repairman looked at it a while ago and opined that the main head is wearing but still fine. However, I found that the head condition was interfering with the non-standard pressure pads in TDK's super-duper cassettes!

What I remember is that all heads are not created the same, and my Dual's heads are probably not a universal type. Am I wrong?

Otherwise, I would need to see if I can flatten out the tilted optical auto stop disk that my late bench technician damaged (he was a good technician, but could sometimes be a klutz).

Richard Steinfeld
Author of The Handbook for Stanton and Pickering Phonograph Cartridges and Styli.
midnight ed

The Lenco Addict

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »

Hi all,

I have a REVOX B-215S in storage at the moment. Superb machine, superb recording quality. Part of this combo!

This is a picture that I found on the web of my system in storage! Too bad I don't have the space for it at this time!

Cheers!

Eddie

"If it measures good and sounds bad, it is bad; if it measures bad and sounds good, you have measured the wrong thing." From - Daniel R. von Recklinghausen, former Chief Research Engineer, H.H. Scott
Floyd

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »

These are really great machines - I've always wanted one, you've made me think that maybe I should start to keep my eyes open smiley

The cassette machine which I have had and used very happily for around thirty years now is a now is a Sony Walkman WM-D6C. Absolutely superb and capable of first rate performance, better than most full size machines.

Steve.

I still have mine with original headphones and box. I just looked on flebay and they are going for a "buy now" £799.99 shocked

Chris
"Been dazed and confused for so long its not true....."
Steerpike

« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 04:35:44 PM »

That Aiwa 'walkman' isn't 1970s. More like mid to  late 1980s.They didn't have that kind of miniaturisation & integration in the 70s.
Idlersforever

« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 04:50:12 PM »

I have an Aiwa XK-S 7000 that ANT Audio upgraded the heads and some of the internals.  Sounds great and Alex is a fantastically talented and nice guy. Also have a Sony WM-D6C. It is great listening to this on the London underground whilst reading emails on an iPhone - great to get confused looks from people.
dauphine
RIP: gone but not forgotten

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 06:08:50 PM »

Andre,

Regarding the head(s) in my Dual cassette deck, you wrote:

@ Richard

Maybe Rotsch has a solution for you? Tapeheads are fairly easy to replace. I learned a trick from the Tandberg's owners manual on how to set bias with a partially cut open cassette.

Rotsch: do you?

My favorite stereo repairman looked at it a while ago and opined that the main head is wearing but still fine. However, I found that the head condition was interfering with the non-standard pressure pads in TDK's super-duper cassettes!

What I remember is that all heads are not created the same, and my Dual's heads are probably not a universal type. Am I wrong?

Otherwise, I would need to see if I can flatten out the tilted optical auto stop disk that my late bench technician damaged (he was a good technician, but could sometimes be a klutz).

Hi Richard

When you do that, place the disk between two pieces of (very) hard hardwood or better still, between two pieces of flat bar aluminium and then apply pressure with your vise. I have the benefit of a very large and powerful workbench vise which usually sorts buckled metal.

Regds

andre

Andre

If you don't like my principles, I have many others - Groucho Marx
fetteler

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 06:12:33 PM »

I still have mine with original headphones and box. I just looked on flebay and they are going for a "buy now" £799.99 shocked

Wow shocked

Not that I've any plans to sell but it's nice to know all the same. Mind you it wasn't cheap at the time, I think I paid about GBP 240 for mine in the mid 80's. I just found an inflation calculator so 240 is GBP 690 in today's money.

I think I have the headphones somewhere..... Not sure about the box though undecided

Steve.

Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful.

I try to spell correctly -  sometimes the dyslexia wnis!
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 07:38:29 PM »

One sold recently...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-Super-Rare-Vintage-Sony-Walkman-Cassette-Player-WM-D6C-Boxed-No-Reserve-/161629722518

£919.99!!!!

malcolm ("You can't shine if you don't burn" - Kevin Ayers)

colorIf what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow color
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 07:46:28 PM »

Sony TC-K35

Bought one new in 1984 and used it until it wore out, then managed to find another one a few years back grin

http://www.vintagecassette.com/sony/tc_k35

malcolm ("You can't shine if you don't burn" - Kevin Ayers)

colorIf what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow color
Johan

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 08:07:35 PM »

I have a Nakamichi CR-2:

Johan
WL70 - ΨAΘIN MS-12B - Icon Audio ST40 - Fostex FF125wk Fonkens
autobayer
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 08:09:10 PM »

Nice.
Bought a whole "tower" setup from Sony for my aunt when I was in school.
Tried to explain to them how to record and fade etc - they never did one recording.
I think all they ever did was listening to the radio  undecided
decca4

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 09:08:34 PM »

PS What about the Studers? The A/B710??

I have got a Studer A710. Will post some pictures tomorrow.

Stefan
dauphine
RIP: gone but not forgotten

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 10:03:58 PM »

That Aiwa 'walkman' isn't 1970s. More like mid to  late 1980s.They didn't have that kind of miniaturisation & integration in the 70s.

I then stand corrected grin

andre

Andre

If you don't like my principles, I have many others - Groucho Marx
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 ... 11 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: