Lenco Heaven
September 07, 2024, 11:27:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 ... 44 [45] 46 ... 147 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DIY EAR 834p phono stage - a short evaluation/ test with those chinese PCBs  (Read 208912 times)
spaceistheplace

« Reply #660 on: April 16, 2017, 11:15:18 PM »

Jay I think you would need a small circuit to match your headphone impedance, whatever yours may be. Also, it would depend on if the 834 could drive your particular headphones or would need some kind of additional amplification. I'm not sure of the answer to that.

However, if you do a lot of computer listening with headphones I think it would be equally significant to look into an outboard DAC in the chain before the 834. It has made a world of difference in my experience to the dac in my sound card.

Your build is looking great!

May I ask a few q's? What do the two other switches control besides the attenuator? One is presumable a passive input selector? What heat sinks did you purchase for the power supply? How is the noise level in the one box solution?

I wish I had a fraction of your metal work skills! I'm sure it's going to look exceptional when it's done.

John - USA

GrooveGrinder

« Reply #661 on: April 17, 2017, 06:29:13 AM »

John...
The star isn't the point... I always star ground, even tho its more work....
Point IS....
I guess you could say.... a star ground for the WHOLE SYSTEM...

Meanwhile.... thanks to all for the replies................. I'll respond tomorrow.. (holiday obligations today/sunday)

Here's a link to... what is pretty much the definitive cartridge loading web page:
http://www.hagtech.com/loading.html
You can work out any combo from here...
AND it provides a web app to plug in variables...

Cheers, and goodnight..
Greg

Greg

De gustibus non est disputandum
GrooveGrinder

« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2017, 06:36:09 AM »

These were the build pics I was looking at with the caps. Xdanx did this one. Had to dig around this post is getting longgggg. Figure if it's theoretically good, can't hurt?

Also, noticed the giant 330uf caps up front. Anyone venture a guess what he was going for with that?
1) Yes LONG!!!
I still haven't re-read the WHOLE thread.. but did go back to page 30 last week.. lol.. and got back up to present..
Making note of the details of this and that value, to go back to when its more relevevant for me... Right now, its the basics... Layout, last bits to order... etc. and like that...

2) Those huge white caps... Mundorfs  in 1000VDC are HUGE!!!
Assuming that's what you mean... (rather than the merits of the cap values)

Goodnight for real this time!!!
(tho I bet John is still up.........)

Greg

Jay

Location: A stones throw from, The Fog on the Tyne is all mine all mine. Newcastle UK

Caught a bug,it's 'Lenco' James

« Reply #663 on: April 17, 2017, 09:25:23 AM »

John,
 Switches, from left to right. On Off, Led hole, Mute, Volume & Selector.
 The heat sinks were off some long forgotten PcB so can't really help, though most any type of power transistor heat sink would probably work.

I will be moving the on off switch a bit more to the right & mount it further back like the others.

The one box works really well & as it turned out, the hum I was getting was via the pick ups/arm & simply moving the 834 as far away from the deck has worked well.

re the headphone issue
The only DAC I have Is a very old one from the early days of DAC's,  Is an AudioNote 2x valve thing that I really don't know what to do with !!!

Ps I've swapped the  Mullard's for Golden Dragon's & found them to be much cleaner, more detailed & quieter (noise) sounding.

James.
Decca's, clones & home brewed HiFi

I am defiantly wired differently
spaceistheplace

« Reply #664 on: April 17, 2017, 11:33:50 PM »

A real eye opening experience for me was swapping an old coax audio synthesis dac hooked to a CD player for a schiit bifrost attached to a computer for digital playback. The difference was so undeniably pronounced, it made me reconsider my vinyl playback entirely- it had reigned supreme for so long, and now I was able to clearly see its limitations. This led me here to exploring further at LH.

I had been a staunch, dyed in the wool vinyl proponent for so long, it was almost heretical for me to consider that a relatively modestly priced digital unit the size of a cigar box was finally giving it a run for its money.

John - USA

spaceistheplace

« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2017, 11:36:52 PM »

PS From what I can hear so far, the 834 has brought vinyl back into the ring for a grudge match.

Fitting it's post #666- the mark of the beast.

John - USA

spaceistheplace

« Reply #666 on: April 18, 2017, 08:48:19 AM »

Finally making a bit of headway on the build in the new chassis. My planning paid off I think everything is going to fit snug as a bug.

John - USA

Jay

Location: A stones throw from, The Fog on the Tyne is all mine all mine. Newcastle UK

Caught a bug,it's 'Lenco' James

« Reply #667 on: April 18, 2017, 07:09:41 PM »

Just looked at the case you have it looks highly adaptable. good find  grin

James.
Decca's, clones & home brewed HiFi

I am defiantly wired differently
spaceistheplace

« Reply #668 on: April 18, 2017, 08:28:40 PM »

The pre-punched base plate is a game changer!

John - USA

spaceistheplace

« Reply #669 on: April 18, 2017, 08:30:20 PM »

And, the price is excellent for the quality and configuration options that you get. I'd highly recommend it.

John - USA

spaceistheplace

« Reply #670 on: April 18, 2017, 08:43:44 PM »

Jay is there somewhere one can purchase a dividing shield for the power supply similar to what's in your build? What would be the ideal material and thickness? Aluminum? Steel?

John - USA

Chris65
Administrator

« Reply #671 on: April 18, 2017, 10:50:37 PM »

Finally making a bit of headway on the build in the new chassis. My planning paid off I think everything is going to fit snug as a bug.
John - USA

I'll quote myself:
Looks very professional John. Just one thing - your pictures are very large, they should be a maximum of 800 pixels wide.

From Forum Etiquette:
* Keep images to a maximum of 800 pixels wide - not everyone has a super widescreen monitor or fast connection

Chris

"The Blues is the roots, everything else is the fruits" - Willie Dixon
GrooveGrinder

« Reply #672 on: April 19, 2017, 04:28:35 AM »

FWIW
http://www.modwright.com/modifications/modwright-truth-umbilical.php
"ModWright Truth Umbilical"

Greg

spaceistheplace

« Reply #673 on: April 19, 2017, 08:30:23 AM »

For the low, low price of $300 for 4 feet! And are those neutrik 4 pin XLR's at either end?! Those can't be rated for 400V+....

Although it's interesting he also doesn't use an overall shield, which should reduce your concerns about its absence.

John - USA

spaceistheplace

« Reply #674 on: April 19, 2017, 08:35:39 AM »

I'll quote myself:

Sorry, I'm using T***talk from a phone and there doesn't seem to be an 800px option or an option to resize my initial photo?

Is there a code snippet to have a link to full res but make it appear as 800px within the forum?

Let me know how I can best accomplish this.

My apologies and condolences to anyone on dial-up in 2017.... that has to be brutal.

John - USA

Pages:  «previous 1 ... 44 [45] 46 ... 147 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: