Lenco Heaven
September 19, 2024, 05:54:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 4 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My non-rushed long-pondered L78 remake  (Read 6817 times)
SteveM

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 02:18:58 AM »

Putzed around slowly with my lever hacks, will fit & test everything tomorrow.
I keep neglecting the wiring for some reason, demain.
After spending some time considering on the motor island layout, I think I've decided to hold off on that until phase II, several months from now.
That should let me assess any pros/cons of the plinth & island on there own.

vinyl>modded L78>Pickering XV-15 w/DTL-2S>Rabco SL8e>Lehmann Black Cube w/PWX>Simaudio I-5>Totem Sttaf
- otherwise NAD 4300 or Arcam FMJ DV139
SteveM

« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2016, 02:38:39 PM »

A bit more fumbling around yesterday, dress rehearsal of the the mech. mostly worked.
Ran upstairs when I heard someone knocking on the door, it's the mailman with a small package from Hungary  grin ;

Made a cut for the wiring - wait a second, I was supposed to think about dis/re-assembly before making my cut  embarrassed
I can make my cut work, but only in a complicated way, back to the drawing board.
Start gluing on Monday! Wait, didn't I say that last week?
Plan was to install the new idler in this build, don't think I can wait that long  laugh laugh

vinyl>modded L78>Pickering XV-15 w/DTL-2S>Rabco SL8e>Lehmann Black Cube w/PWX>Simaudio I-5>Totem Sttaf
rfgumby
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2016, 03:46:51 PM »

Getting close!

Scott

Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows    -Bob Dylan
mustafa

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2016, 07:12:16 PM »

Hi,

I hope your nearly there.

Regards

Mustafa

The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us.
Dr Samuel Loomis
SteveM

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2016, 07:55:13 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm unexpectantly really enjoying the process despite any little goofs.
Already thinking of my other 2 Lencos, but I have enough chores/renos to me busy until next winter.

Some leisurely progress yesterday - full dress rehearsal passed, stumbled over some thinner wiring & purloined some connectors from the motor terminal block.
Might finish the wiring today, but had a low-energy MTB ride this morning and I might opt for a snooze instead  grin

A couple of design ideas bouncing around in my head, so I might delay the glue job a bit.
Also considering adding a 6th layer (mdf).

SteveM

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2016, 02:50:07 PM »

A week since I last reported in so time for an update. I will not start gluing on Monday, read on.

I opted for a snooze last Sunday followed by a couple more days of MTB & snoozing.
Slowly eased backed into the project on Wed. & Thursday; several test-fittings of the chassis, as well as motor & bearing removal & installation for future maintenance, some rasp filing and everything was good to go.
Wiring sorted out and tested everything with live power, just enough room with the 5 layers;

Might use this if wiring is visible below plinth;

Thought about making a run to pick up glue & screws, said to myself "an arm board and a couple of long screws & I can do some listening". After cutting a piece of maple flooring, I turned and headed upstairs...

WHAT THE F??? WHERE IS THIS WATER COMING FROM???  shocked shocked shocked
It's coming up through the floor drain... an afternoon/night of wet snow followed by 10hrs of nearly 2in.(45mm) of rain and my drainage has succumbed to the forces of nature. Started up the shop-vac but abandoned ship after 90min. Grabbed the layers, tools, bikes, cat litter box and hauled them upstairs. Lifted some other junk off the floor and plugged the drain with a towel (yeah, probably should have done that 1st!). Off to walmart before they close for rubber boots and try to borrow a pump (no go on that). Came home to a fully submerged basement, about 5in. deep (125mm) at the drain. Floating floors (vinyl tiles on ply over foam)! Rain had stopped for a few hours, so before trying to get some sleep, I took a chance & unplugged the drain. Woke up to to some relief, hallelujah  angel - by 8am all the water had drained out.

Cleanup will go on for a few more days, will start ripping out some flooring today.
Nothing of value damaged (remember, it is a dungeon  laugh laugh).
First (12yrs+ in this house) & hopefully last flood I will have to deal with, picked up a check valve & emergency plug.

Officerpup
Cotswold Meet

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2016, 03:35:17 PM »

Bless you!

When it rains it pours!

Hope you get cleared up and dried out quickly and relieved your plinth and deck weren't affected  smiley

Mark
NiJunge

I learn to improvise

« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »

Sorry to hear about the floding, the forces of nature are relentless

N

Hybrid L75 - Rega - Luxman done and it sounds great + Original L78
SteveM

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »

Thanks guys, I figure my build will be delayed about a week.
Which means I have to look at this a little longer;

See, I told you I can do ugly  laugh laugh

Andr039

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »

Ah! Canned Lenco   smiley
So typical stage of DIY plint build  laugh

Best,

Andrey

в моем углу засохший хлеб и тараканы
SteveM

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2016, 02:58:59 PM »

That's a temporary set-up (almost 2yrs. now) made with some scrap layers.
An improvement over the stock plinth, when placed near speakers (less than 1ft. away).
My stock plinth sounded great on those cans, sitting on the floor midway between speakers (about 3ft/1m).

Andr039

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2016, 05:20:16 PM »

That's a temporary set-up (almost 2yrs. now)

shocked that's indeed non-rushed project!  laugh
you are very self-restrained person as i see  smiley
best,

Andrey

в моем углу засохший хлеб и тараканы
mustafa

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2016, 06:33:30 PM »

Hi,

I wouldn't mind too much about how long this project has taken you as good things come to those who wait.

Good luck and enjoy.

Regards

Mustafa

The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us.
Dr Samuel Loomis
SteveM

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 09:35:55 PM »

Thanks guys, "self-restrained person" - yeah that's sounds better than content & lazy, plus no Mrs. SteveM to, umm, inspire me  cheesy

SteveM

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2016, 12:59:41 AM »

After the better part of a month working on the basement & drainage after the flood, I borrowed/gathered a motley assortment of clamps & picked up some wood glue.
Should get cracking on this in the morning, hopefully something playable in a week.

Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 4 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: