Lenco Heaven
September 19, 2024, 11:14:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 2 [3] 4 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My non-rushed long-pondered L78 remake  (Read 6818 times)
awty

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2016, 11:38:18 PM »

Thanks guys, I figure my build will be delayed about a week.
Which means I have to look at this a little longer;

See, I told you I can do ugly  laugh laugh

I like it the way it is Steve, crude, but functionable.  wink

Paul
dauphine
RIP: gone but not forgotten

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2016, 06:31:22 PM »

Thanks Scott, should make it to double digits today (low 50s F.) so I will raise it from the depths and do some work in the backyard sun.
Hope I don't drop any small bits in the patchy snow.
I will try not to post late-night recaps, woke up in the middle of thinking about the lever & then the idler arm slider.
I know I have it good if that's what keeps me up at night  smiley

You got sun in Canada?

Nice work so far grin

Best wishes from Cape Town.

andre

Andre

If you don't like my principles, I have many others - Groucho Marx
mustafa

« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2016, 08:21:50 PM »

Hi,

At least you can listen to some music now.

Regards

Mustafa

The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us.
Dr Samuel Loomis
SteveM

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2016, 02:31:26 PM »

Bugger, layer 3 (mdf) didn't want to stay lined up, off by about a mm.
Will probably have to work on that before adding more layers.
Some of my clamps won't handle more than 3 layers, good thing CT has a 1/2 price sale starting today.

vinyl>modded L78>Pickering XV-15 w/DTL-2S>Rabco SL8e>Lehmann Black Cube w/PWX>Simaudio I-5>Totem Sttaf
- otherwise NAD 4300 or Arcam FMJ DV139
mustafa

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »

Hi,

I can smell it in the air, your turntable will be finished soon and then, you will be able to listen to some music.

Regards

Mustafa

The darkest souls are not those which choose to exist within the hell of the abyss, but those which choose to break free from the abyss and move silently among us.
Dr Samuel Loomis
SteveM

« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2016, 04:55:27 AM »

Another day, another layer - 1 more to go... or maybe 2  undecided
Updating my clamp situation - I bought 4 Crappy Tire 8in. clamps and broke my largest (3ft) plastic one.
The 8 inchers can't handle the same force as the large (3ft. & 4ft.) ones I borrowed, so they are twisting & bending.
Should have gone for the beefier 12in. model... live & learn.

Thanks for the comments people.

vinyl>modded L78>Pickering XV-15 w/DTL-2S>Rabco SL8e>Lehmann Black Cube w/PWX>Simaudio I-5>Totem Sttaf
SteveM

« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 11:26:11 PM »

Phase 1 of my plinth build appears to be done - 5 layers & holding (subject to revision  undecided)
Did some sanding, not trying for perfection - just to lessen some of the visible problems.
Might worry more about looks in years to come.  wink
Armboard attached. Got a call to go for a MTB ride.

Probably spinning records tomorrow  afro
Have to say I've been pleased with the improvement Norbert's wheel brought to my old 2-scrap-layer plinth.

SteveM

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 03:51:42 AM »

Where did the day go?
Spent an hour this morning do some more sanding & some prep work for a possible future visual tweak.
Followed after lunch with leisurely paced prep/plot/drill pan & plinth.
There is a visual thing going on - straight edges of pan are 90deg to each other & parallel to plinth edge but they don't look right. Something to try living with for a while I guess.
Minou is looking for the mouse she caught last night & brought into the house.

New target date is Friday.

2ubes

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2016, 05:33:32 AM »

Looks great Steve.

Aren't cats wonderful in the way they show
off their new found friends. grin

Be safe

Dan

Dan.
SteveM

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2016, 05:17:12 PM »

Dan, she usually announces it with an odd, instantly recognized, mouth-filled meow (I don't latch the back-door, so she comes in whenever she wants). She didn't make a sound with the last one, which didn't have a scratch on it (none that I could see anyway), but I knew something was up when she jumped. The little guy was in shock for a few seconds when Minou put it on the floor, so it was an easy grab for me, unlike most of the other catch-and-releases.  grin

Today plans have gone awry, should get downstairs & finish things up...

mustafa

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2016, 05:23:07 PM »

Hi,

You are nearly there and it is looking good.

Regards

Mustafa

Dr Samuel Loomis
SteveM

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 01:05:18 AM »

Put her together yesterday, with a couple of minor issues.
I didn't factor the platter's bottom rim, so 1 bolt had to be removed, plenty of others  laugh laugh , but I will probably relocate that one.

I used parts (motor, bearing & Norbert's idler) from my scrap 2-layer job, 'cause I wanted a proper comparison & those were known to be in better shape. Sounded fine (more later) despite some hum, turned out the motor was touching one of the terminal blocks.
With the modded lever it works in reverse direction (the on-off knob - not the TT  wink ).

Bling free portion of the build complete... sitting naked on 3 fairly firm rubber bumpers.
My 1st build, couldn't have done it without LH - thank you all!  thumbsup

ACHiPo

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 04:18:37 AM »

SCHWEET!

Evan
SteveM

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »

Time for a short update to ye olde thread.
I haven't done anything substantial about the looks in the last 2yrs., still undecided  cry
Last year I futzed with different mats; original, 200g+ blank record and settled on my Dual 505 mat - mostly based on looks & my logic.

I've been using 3 feet (2 at back, 1 front) and recently spotted a crack in the mdf layer, seems to have started in the front left corner.
Don't recall any reports like that on LH, will worry about that later, now running on 4 feet.

WIP - I sprayed the top platter with Rustoleum Flexidip, flat black; very close match to the Dual mat.
Flexidip is similar to Plastidip, reportedly it goes on thinner & smoother - requiring more coats (neither are considered durable).
I chose it because it's about 1/2 the price  wink
I've never been very good with spray cans but this stuff is somewhat forgiving.
Will likely do the bottom platter & maybe the top-plate next week if the weather co-operates, between the cleaners & the paint, toxins were rising up from the dungeon despite my best efforts to ventilate.
BTW I won't use acetone on platters again; I don't know if it was a one-of issue but underside went ok, topside made a mess.

No promises but maybe some updated pics next week after more "dipping".

SteveM

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2018, 03:50:54 PM »

Finally got around to spraying the 2nd platter, pan perimeter & arm (sides & top).
Despite the forgiving nature of the "rubberized" paint I still manage to botch up a couple of spots, mostly hidden from view.
I also added a compliant layer between arm base & board, still firmly attached though.
Might go into more details about that in the Rabco club thread.

Happy with the improved look, will work on dressing up the plinth next winter, hopefully.
Between now & then I might make a change in the plinth, details if/when it happens.
Should have it back on the steel rack soon, as well as make a better fitting & nicer looking spindle.

This has been in use 2yrs now, hearing impressions; I tell myself one of these days I will transfer my thoughts from my brain to your screen.
Hope to include a recent casual comparison to a stock L75 (things that make you go hmm).
I'm sure you're all curious, just don't hold your breath  wink
Short version =  grin

Pages:  «previous 1 2 [3] 4 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: