Lenco Heaven
June 20, 2024, 01:00:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 ... 5 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thorens TD-150  (Read 8842 times)
mygoggie

« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2016, 06:58:56 AM »

I am enjoying all the photos - keep them coming  cool

Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~
Alexandro

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2016, 12:48:49 PM »

Here is mine:

Alexander.
bluetomgold

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2016, 01:14:51 PM »

Alexandro, that is lovely. Who made the plinth?

I'm Tom
mygoggie

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »

@Alexandro - what arm is that?

Herman

~ To heal the soul is to embark on a new journey. ~
tlscapital

If Loving You Is Wrong I Don't Want To Be Right

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2016, 02:15:36 PM »

@Alexandro - what arm is that?

I'm not Alexandro... but the tonearm is an SME3009 S2 'Improved' ! Some don't like them but I really do love (have) them. Like the TD's turntable, they have plenty of "evolutive" potential to adapt them to your needs and ideas. Simple in design, almost minimalist, but efficient in sound, reaching Hi ends, combining the loose and the tights. Built with good quality materials.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:36:24 PM by tlscapital » Logged

- Denon DL-102 in bakelite Ortofon SPU 'G' type
- SME 3009 'Improved' SII converted in heavy mass
- tweaked Thorens TD160 'E' powered by 'Eagle & RoadRunner' PSU & tachometer
- Mats top to bottom: leather, cork, felt, acrylic & vinyl LP
- 'Modulis' Isem
- 'Exampli' Etalon
- 12" Leak 'Sandwich'
Alexandro

« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2016, 06:19:41 PM »

Hi Tom,
Thank you.
All of the plinths for the Thorens turntables I own has been manufactured by a friend of mine who is a professional carpenter.
I only give him the measures I require and he is executing the order.

@mygoggie: tlscapital already answered the question, but yes. This is SME 3009 S2 Improved. I am also a great fan of this tonearms because of simplicity and the sound they produce for the money.
Although I like the earlier versions (the so called "non improved") better, but they are suitable for heavier cartridges.

Here is another one in my collection (also fully restored by me)

This one has a plinth made of smoked merbau, while the first one is made by cempas.

...and this is the latest lady in my collection (MK1) waiting for her new dress.

Meanwhile she received some botox face procedures, like a rubberized cork dampening on the sub-chassis, new capacitors and resistor, as well as a new face-plate made of stainless steel. And also she has just met her future husband (SME 3009, early "non-improved" version with split weight).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:45:32 PM by Alexandro » Logged

Alexander.
bluetomgold

« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2016, 06:40:31 PM »

Hi Tom,
Thank you.
All of the plinths for the Thorens turntables I own has been manufactured by a friend of mine who is a professional carpenter.
I only give him the measures I require and he is executing the order.

@mygoggie: tlscapital already answered the question, but yes. This is SME 3009 S2 Improved. I am also a great fan of this tonearms because of simplicity and the sound they produce for the money.
Although I like the earlier versions (the so called "non improved") better, but they are suitable for heavier cartridges.

Looks like very nice work. I'd like something similar but will probably keep the narrow armboard. I may PM you about it at some point... The stainless (?) top plate is also nice. Would be interested to see pics of the inside if you get a chance!

Earlier SMEs are certainly nice, but more expensive, and heavier. Depends what cartridge you plan to use, but the "improved" is underrated IMO, still beautifully engineered and finished. Generally for a TD150 lighter arms will work better. I wouldn't personally put an early one on a TD150... and when I've come across the combination they rarely work well whereas the "improved" can sing on the deck if set up well.

Also worth keeping in mind is the face that SMEs have quite a lot going on below the bed plate - they are tall - and the TD150 is short. It's not always possible to physically fit the arm with standard plinth/feet and many many TD150s were set up totally wrong from new with an SME arm that stops the suspension working properly - many are still in use this way! Below is a relatively extreme example (early ones can be even taller) but you get the idea.

In addition to the height issue the output connector can cause issues - having a tendency to work loose (especially in a suspended deck) but also making proper dressing of the arm leads a challenge... There are easier (and probably better) arms to put on a TD150, but there's no doubt that SME's are nice...
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:58:33 PM by bluetomgold » Logged

I'm Tom
Alexandro

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 07:01:04 PM »

Hi Tom,
You are totally right. The early versions (all) has been manufactured with longer cans then the S2 improved versions.
In order to accommodate this tonearm I am taking this into consideration and make a deeper plinth. ...and in case the proportions are not right I just route the baseboard so that to provide a free vertical movement of the suspension. This way I artificially add another 20mm space (the material I use for the board is 25 mm) Here is another example (this time TD125, MKII with a 3009 non-improved).

Sorry for the off-topic.
Generally I like the older versions better because they sound better with the cartridges I own.
For an example once I have installed SPU-G on a S2improved and balanced it with additional custom made counterweight...the SPU showed so poor results.
Most of the light cartridges I have are not that special and that's why most of the tonearms I have are the heavier (earlier) models.
The suspension of the TD-150 is OK for "non-improved". Tested and working great with SPU-like cartridge Ortofon S15M.
Best regards.

Alexander.
sebalele

Gabriele

« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »

OK , Show your TD150....
Those are mine !

FR24 MKII
all plinth are my work ... usually a mdf  with a veneer..

Best wishes
JacquesD

« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 10:09:48 AM »

Yes. Plastic armboard were mount on mk2 version.

At least this Mk2 (early serial no.) has a wooden -- or rather multiplex -- armboard. It still waits for a decent treatment:

While the photo gallery is going on, let's add my favourite. It sounds better because of the white plinth smiley -- or is it the SL15 (the poor man's SPU):

And the third one is an example of how it may be difficult to keep the subchassis bouncing while installing an SME 3009. Note that I got the TT like this, I would have attempted to install a nicer armboard. The plinth was damaged, so I made a new one with a new armboard. No pictures of the new state, as my daughter and son-in-law have stolen the unit (I will get it back some day, they promise):

At least the TT was photographed in good company. You can see how this armboard "sinks" into the plinth near the (damaged) back:

All the best with your work on this turntable (and others)!

Regards,

Jacques
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:23:18 AM by JacquesD » Logged

Jacques

Mostly listening to (modded) vintage equipment
old woody

« Reply #25 on: November 26, 2016, 03:09:00 PM »

wouldn't be without my 150

"I found myself more and more thinking about the time when my hifi was small but the time I spent listening to music was huge "
Berndizzle440

« Reply #26 on: November 26, 2016, 10:49:40 PM »

wouldn't be without my 150

woody how many decks do you have!?!?! so far ive seen a 301, 401 a few different lencos and now this td150?!?!?! You have taste my friend wink

Bernie
xerox

« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2017, 10:47:44 PM »

Here's mine.

/mattias
old woody

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2017, 04:04:54 PM »

Can I ask my fellow 150 lovers what oil they use in there bearing?

"I found myself more and more thinking about the time when my hifi was small but the time I spent listening to music was huge "
Jonpw98

« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2017, 07:44:24 PM »

A picture or two of my TD150 (with not so nice pinky purple diy plinth) and TD160 (in a much nicer solid ash diy plinth).

Regrettably both sold some time ago - the TD150 went off to Spain and the TD160 to Germany:

Jonathan

Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 ... 5 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: