Lenco Heaven
September 07, 2024, 05:32:37 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 ... 12 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Technics SP10 Club (SP15, SP20, SP25, BBC' SP's and SP10R’s also welcome)  (Read 13271 times)
itskeith

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2020, 08:24:33 AM »

Hi  Guys,
Great to see so many replies already.

Andrey:
Give them an inch!! ]

Yes, I know  laugh

Malcolm,
Oh crap, I'll have to buy one now to join the club

No, we’ll allow you in without and SP as an honorary member  grin
But we know you want to anyway  laugh

JohnG : love this turntable / arm / cartridge.
(Have heard Johns at Kegworth last year and the same at Angus’s)

Interesting to hear what you think of the The Phosphor Bronze Platter?

Chris:
If you're starting a club Keith, shouldn't you show your example?

Errr,  cheesy Yes!
Need to do some fishing out of a couple of bits and info and it’ll have to wait till the weekend.

Many thanks for the link  icon_thumright

Ardn’t:
Strictly speaking the last word if you just want to spin your records.

Agreed.

Ihor,
Well saved on the slate plinth.
Undertand there are many fans of these, and a few now going the route of think MU25 and panzerholtz.

Guess we’ll have some eveluations from members here sometime.
Except of course we have turntables that are just easy to plug in and play  undecided cheesy laugh

Post edit:
Hi Reese  hello
Guess we must have been typing at the same time.
Wow: bet and SP10 and Schick Stick is a good combo  shocked smiley

Keith
JohnG

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2020, 09:42:08 AM »

Phosphor Bronze Platter? That's very interesting! I remember some guys at DIYaudio we're running a group buy for stainless steel platters...

To acquire a Phosphor Bronze Platter is a of a unique design for a SP10 , will prove difficult if not wanting not spend fortunes.
I got this Platter after a long hunt,  not a Cheap Option, but I am hoping that due to its design, I can make it work, with a
SP-10, TTS-8000, DP-80, PTP Solid 9, and at a later date my own built PTP -6 with it own plinth to work with a design I am working on.

The Plan is to produce a Plinth that has a Permali Wood Picture Frame perimeter that the Tonearm is attached on to,
it is looking like this will be produced to work with a 9" and 12" Design.

Each TT will have its own Plinth Produced, that is cut out to produce Tonearm to Spindle dimensions, these Plinths, will insert into the Picture Frame Perimeter, I am yet to decide on the insert plinth material, or from a recent discussion the finished shape.
I have yet to go back to the drawing to work out the shape I can produce, that is not equilateral.  

I suppose the question is why got to such pain/extremes, well firstly LH is responsible for that, it is all about the 'Spirt of Creativity' and is a Magnet to the types who like to Ponder and Do,  or like me,  Ponder and have others do on your behalf.
The main drive was that after undertaking many years of travelling and meeting HiFi minded people, at their homes, at my home, at events.
At times when devices were brought and compared, especially TT's, if TT's were compared they usually had different
Plinths/Tonearms/Cartridges and would usually be on different Stands.
With a TT each of these variables will impact on the overall presentation and SQ.

I was in the past going through the motions of attempting to put a 'GL75 Platter Spindle Bearing Comparison Trial' together,
there was support on offer to supply Donor Bearing, off which I believe there were six types that could be trialled, I was hoping all could attach to the Solid 9.
It was important to me, that one TT would be used for the presentation, and one TT would be used to give the bearing a run time, before it was mounted onto the TT doing the presentation.
Additional for me,  it was imperative that one TT-Plinth/Tonearm/Cartridge/Stand, was in use for this assessment.

My latest Design for the Plinth, is a extension of this concept.
As I can insert any TT I can make work in the design, and assess it against others with the exact same environmental controls in place.

Hi JohnG,
this looks like a very interesting suspension you use under the plinth. Can you tell us something about?

Regards Arndt

The feet being witnessed are SolidTech 'Feet of Silence' (FOS).
These are my go to feet, they are the final choice from a very long period of trialling footers,
these produce very obvious changes when put under certain TT's, and my experience is that the most noticeable is when placed under a Idler Drive.
I have taken these to other properties, and put them to use on TT's that are Belt Drive and Idler Drive, the owners of these TT's,
have expressed how noticeable the improvements have been, when compared against footers that they thought were very good choices for their set up.
I have not really compared them A/B against other footers on a DD - TT as these are now my go to ones.

The Previous Posts Image has not shown the Sub Plinth, which is another consideration to be addressed, my Sub Plinth is a
Phonotherm Board that sits on Audio Technica AT-616 Pneumatic Footers.
I had high hopes for the Phonotherm as a Plinth Material, but following reports returned on a test it was put through, it is not a improvement on a Ply or MDF, so it will do fine for some jobs, but I don't see it becoming a Permanent Plinth Material.   

One of the TT owners who has used these has now made his own DIY version using a elastic suspension, he is claiming he is still noticing the improvements that were on offer, but these have not been A/B compared.
Another group who have heard them, have sought out more affordable products to offer a impression of these, but more importantly, exchange the usual footers being used, I know they have chosen a Brand Isocoustics ?? (The Model GAIA III),
I know these have cleaned up the improved the Deck, and on later investigations, improved Speakers as well, both Box and ESL.
The group are keen to do a A/B once more with (FOS) on the TT's.    

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 11:52:34 AM by JohnG » Logged
Deck

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2020, 11:01:18 AM »

Here is mine,

Bought about 15 years ago, can't remember when exactly.

Got it off Ebay via seller in Germany who had a high volume enterprise dealing in all sorts of equipment.

It was mint, perfect in every way except when it arrived... it was scratched, gouged, dinged,  the switch on the power supply had snapped off etc..

I was livid! all because some underling at the company had just slung the turntable into a large cardboard box with only one thin sheet of small cell bubble wrap between the units. The effect was as if it had been put in a tumble drier.

Anyhow to be fair I did get a large discount from the seller (probably came out of some lad's wages).

It still rankles with me whenever I turn it on because of the snapped switch.

Deck,

PS : Where can I get a replacement on/off switch for the power supply?

PPS : I've always wanted the matching Technics armboard, anyone got one to sell?

Another pic showing Tekunikusu San from Osaka, Japan versus Lord Garrard Rumbleton from Swindon, England.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2020, 01:34:01 PM by Deck » Logged
wenig watt

Der Kopf ist rund...

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »

I have been playing with record players for 35 years. At some point I had a frustration break because the audible errors of the medium spoiled my fun.The CD was simple and the sound was "error free" but.
The re-entry was a L75 and that was fun! But the search for perfection and more money with less time led me to my SP10. It just doesn't do anything wrong, which doesn't mean it sounds always good! It's all about the combination you invent.
probably you have to be lucky and find the best distribution of resonances in the system. Dead damping does not automatically sound good. Undamped use either.
The nice thing about the SP 10 is the reduction of possible mistakes.
Nevertheless I have a garrard 401, two L75, a Thorens, a Sansui, a Luxman, a... and comparing them fairly seems impossible. I try to enjoy them according to music and mood and I enjoy their qualities and characteristics.
I could give them all away and just keep the SP 10. even then I would never manage to find the best perfect combination, and I would miss the sound of the L75 or anything else...
who wants to drink only water, but who could live without it?

The only hint to the origin of my SP10 on the photo:

Arndt

...damit das Denken die Richtung ändern kann.
ian
Administrator

« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2020, 06:29:23 PM »

Intruder alert!
I haven't got an SP10 so don't have a club  cry so I'll invade yours  tongue

My Japanese direct drive from the past (1977).  A JVC TT-71 unit.

Never been serviced other than a bit of oil in the bearing, hasn't missed a beat.

what you hear depends on where you're sitting
stratokaster83

When I see mommy, I feel like a mummy

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2020, 06:32:33 PM »

Thanks for the photo Arndt,

I believe RP2 is indeed the BBC name for this unit.

The world is shattered. The wise are mourning, the fools are joking.
Oh, what does it matter? The wash needs ironing and the fire needs stoking.
itskeith

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2020, 07:26:52 PM »

Intruder alert!
I haven't got an SP10 so don't have a club  ...  so ... I'll invade yours

Hang on ..... that's a bit  undecided ...
Ohh, it's a bit like starting a SP club on a Lenco site  laugh  icon_thumright

Keith
stratokaster83

When I see mommy, I feel like a mummy

« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2020, 08:32:10 PM »

JVC was also a part of Matsushita at the time, so I think it also counts  laugh

The world is shattered. The wise are mourning, the fools are joking.
Oh, what does it matter? The wash needs ironing and the fire needs stoking.
wenig watt

Der Kopf ist rund...

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2020, 01:00:40 AM »

Nice to see happy invaders, but I'd like to see historical evidence. grin

Arndt

Polix9

« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2020, 03:50:41 AM »

I don’t have an SP-10 either. But I have a Sony PS-2250, which came out the following year. Jean Nantais has been quoted on another thread as preferring them to the SP-10 (no offence!), and rating them as best DD “outside of a cutting lathe.” But has anyone had both and compared them?

Paul

Waiheke Island
Auckland, NZ

L70, GL75, G99
Melody H34 amp
Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 SE phono-stage
B&W DM2A; Energy 22 Reference speakers
ian
Administrator

« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2020, 08:43:20 AM »

Nice to see happy invaders, but I'd like to see historical evidence. grin

Arndt

Not sure what you mean but here is my build thread:

https://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?topic=24701.0

.....and here's a link to the Vintage Knob's info on this deck.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/jvc-QL-7.html

what you hear depends on where you're sitting
wenig watt

Der Kopf ist rund...

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2020, 03:57:56 PM »

I just wanted to find out if JVC was really part of matsushita. actually from 1954-2008 according to wikipedia.

Nice turntable but looks more like a Denon?

vinyl flipper

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2020, 08:49:40 PM »

To whet your interest this is taken from Wikipedia. Whether JVC was once part of Panasonic the article will tell you.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/JVC

My Technics SP10 MkII. It’s been with me since 1975.  This was THE turntable which finally put an end to the domination of the mighty EMT 930 in the broadcasting field.

The workmanship and finish of the SP10 were impeccable. For home use the SP10 could be fitted with a beautiful plinth made of Obsidian in an oil walnut frame and a wired remote control.

Andy
Decca is like an infection-You either get it or you don't!
Deck

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2020, 10:04:06 PM »

My Technics SP10 MkII. It’s been with me since 1975.

Why is there a boxing glove on the end of your tonearm?

azn
Andr039

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2020, 10:23:54 PM »

It shows its punchy character.
 I mean the character of the cart, not the owner  angel

Andrey

в моем углу засохший хлеб и тараканы
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 ... 12 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: