Lenco Heaven
September 16, 2024, 02:10:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 4 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a Tonearm—How?  (Read 1772 times)
ACHiPo

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2022, 03:57:40 PM »

@adelmo,
Thanks.  I’d read the Fremer review before I bought the Hyperion.  An SAT arm is out of the question for me.  A Jelco is certainly possible.  Where did that review come from?

Evan

Evan
Tomcat1969

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2022, 04:40:38 PM »

And???  Any regrets?  What was your decision process?  9” or 14”?

Have a look at SUPATRAC, search for it here in tonearms.  smiley I have a 12" version.

Peculiar Permali Platform PTP5, 12"SUPATRAC Blackbird/881S or FR24 mk2/SPU #1e. Parks Puffin, B1 with Korg triode, DIY Pass Aleph J power amp and Tannoy Eaton speakers. Oh, and Nigels Speed Controller.

Billy
Adelmo

« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2022, 05:07:50 PM »

@adelmo,
Thanks.  I’d read the Fremer review before I bought the Hyperion.  An SAT arm is out of the question for me.  A Jelco is certainly possible.  Where did that review come from?

Evan

Hi Evan,

Here below the link:
http://www.audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/2179-soundsmith-hyperion-en

However seems that your main cart need a medium to high mass TA.

I do not have a real SUPATRAC, just a kind of clone, 12 inch high mass, has bamboo wand with balsa inside and I am using it at the present. I use cheap Denon DL 103 cart therefore by far not in the league of your cart. However Supatract is not bad at all, sound pretty good to me therefore the original should be much better, but I never had occasion to compare. In the past I used a Jelco SA 750 L ( 12 inch ) that I still have, not bad but ...., however has nice and well manufactured head shell with double locking pin. It is out of production, but you may find it on the second hand market.

Regarding other Japanese TA you mentioned the FR has a high reputation, but I had and still fancied for a SAEC instead, with double knife system. Now seems SAEC is back in production I think, but not difficult to find some model on the second hand market

Best rgds

Adelmo

« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 05:24:16 PM by Adelmo » Logged
JohnG

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2022, 07:29:51 PM »

I listen on regular occasions to a SP10R > Glanz 12" > Miyajima Cartridge.

I can't fault this set up, it blows me away, I have heard it with, Valve Input/Output, Valve Hybrid and Solid State Phonostages.
I have also heard it run through a few different Power Amp,s and again the set up impresses.

The Miyajima on a recent demonstration was matched with a SUT that was of the ideal winding ratio, I struggled to comprehend where the uplift in the performance manifested from, but it was undoubtedly perceivable.   
Lynnot

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2022, 07:48:13 PM »

Hi,

unfortunately, one has to try a number (let's say 4 to 9) of tonearms, swap cartridges and use different decks with them to learn what all the tonearm fuzz is about. My suggestion is to get started with a second hand 12" Jelco, a vintage Fidelity Research FR-64S, a Bokrand banana (modified AS-212) and a 12" Groovemaster.

Good luck!

Best regards, Tony
« Last Edit: June 25, 2022, 11:05:21 AM by Lynnot » Logged

the neon light of the "Open all Night" was just in time replaced by the magic appearance of a new day ....
SUPATRAC

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2022, 01:38:26 AM »

And???  Any regrets?  What was your decision process?  9” or 14”?

I decided to design my own arm. I aimed to exceed existing arms but did not expect it to be as good as it is. I use an 11 inch one in my Amadeus and 9" ones on my other decks. I'm not experienced enough to call it anything but a hunch, but I can't help feeling that the advantages of shorter arms must outweigh the tiny improvement in tracing error of longer arms.

Je regret rien.

Richard
tabarddn

TemaadAudio 12'' Ref Grade Tonearms

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2022, 02:39:11 AM »

Well, The best tool nowadays to decide if the arm & cart match (essential to great performance) is the Korf compliance calculator.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjn78fRu8f4AhUf8DgGHeG4CCQQFnoECAMQAQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fkorfaudio.com%2Fcalculator&usg=AOvVaw3TZBwCCUJnkZylN5_xdzus

Obviously i would agree that a 12'' if you can accommodate it is always superior to a shorter arms.

Cheers

TemaadAudio 12'' Ref Grade Tonearms
unclefz

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2022, 05:14:51 PM »

There is a Glanz MH-104S Tonearm (10") for sale on AOS if you are interested?

I am nothing whatsoever to do with the seller, just passing on the info.

Regards

Jeff
jon

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2022, 09:18:21 PM »

Buy this: https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/tonearm/tracking-tonearm-illustrious/

I have this arm, along with Vic's terminator. The Terminator is quite superb. The Illustrious is better.

Please let me build a system that is a bit forgiving on what I find in thrift shops for a handful of pennies and still is able to deliver the goods on good pressings.

(Syncopeter)
ACHiPo

« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2022, 09:03:39 PM »

Have a look at SUPATRAC, search for it here in tonearms.  smiley I have a 12" version.
Thanks.  I’m a bit biased against unipivots for this arm.  I still have a WTT Reference tonearm (and turntable) that sounds good, but both the Terminator and the Pioneer best it.

Evan
ACHiPo

« Reply #25 on: June 26, 2022, 09:05:13 PM »

He also liked the Triplanar, but that was on a 9” (I think) and a long time ago and a couple iterations before the current 12” design.

Evan
ACHiPo

« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2022, 09:18:48 PM »

Hi Evan,

Here below the link:
http://www.audiophile.no/en/articles-tests-reviews/item/2179-soundsmith-hyperion-en

However seems that your main cart need a medium to high mass TA.

I do not have a real SUPATRAC, just a kind of clone, 12 inch high mass, has bamboo wand with balsa inside and I am using it at the present. I use cheap Denon DL 103 cart therefore by far not in the league of your cart. However Supatract is not bad at all, sound pretty good to me therefore the original should be much better, but I never had occasion to compare. In the past I used a Jelco SA 750 L ( 12 inch ) that I still have, not bad but ...., however has nice and well manufactured head shell with double locking pin. It is out of production, but you may find it on the second hand market.

Regarding other Japanese TA you mentioned the FR has a high reputation, but I had and still fancied for a SAEC instead, with double knife system. Now seems SAEC is back in production I think, but not difficult to find some model on the second hand market

Best rgds

Adelmo

Thank you for the review link.  I hadn’t seen that before.  It is a bit weird that my Terminator arm plays so nicely with the Soundsmith as it’s vertical mass is pretty low, but I guess that the linear configuration has different rules when it comes to resonance?

My biggest concern with the knife edge designs are being able to tell if I’m getting a good used one—I’d think they’d be pretty easy to damage/wear?

Evan
Adelmo

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2022, 09:26:11 PM »

Thank you for the review link.  I hadn’t seen that before.  It is a bit weird that my Terminator arm plays so nicely with the Soundsmith as it’s vertical mass is pretty low, but I guess that the linear configuration has different rules when it comes to resonance?

My biggest concern with the knife edge designs are being able to tell if I’m getting a good used one—I’d think they’d be pretty easy to damage/wear?

Hi,

I have no idea about the wear or damage of the knife, but basically as these SAEC TA are looked after soooo much I suppose they are as reliable as the bearings ones.

I have attempt to buy one from HIFIDO several times, but every time there is a good one seems it is sold before ad appears.........

Japanese misteri I would say

Best regards

Adelmo
ACHiPo

« Reply #28 on: June 26, 2022, 09:29:10 PM »

Buy this: https://www.originlive.com/hi-fi/tonearm/tracking-tonearm-illustrious/

I have this arm, along with Vic's terminator. The Terminator is quite superb. The Illustrious is better.
Jon,
Thanks.  That is a pretty attractive price, too!

Evan
wenig watt

Der Kopf ist rund...

« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2022, 12:04:20 AM »

Hi Evan,
forget about any affordable "normal" tone arm.
Sonically, the Supatrac Blackbird is superior.
I build arms myself. The quality of the bearings is crucial. The Supa bearing is perfect and costs nothing. I have several DIY arms based on different principles.
Even the worst recordings, the worst pressings and completely wrong adjustments are put into perspective.
The special thing is that the arm tracks so reliably.
No matter which pickup is used, the bearing is "perfect" due to the arrangement.
The appearance is a matter of taste and carbon fibre as an arm material is quite neutral in terms of sound. But the tracking quality is far above the price.
It's no secret that I prefer wood as a material. A Frank Schröder or Top Kuszma or ... are certainly technical works of art and sound fantastic but the bearing principle of the Supa makes the difference. There is absolutely no play. This is unique and means the most perfect tracking and dynamic reproduction.
The tonearm resonances are only dependent on the scanning system and the materials involved. But they do not ruin the tracking.

I am writing this because I have tried it.
SAEC, FR, SME, JELCO, SONY, DECCA, BBC, ORTOFON, BOCKRAND, EMT, MORCH...
I started rebuilding exotic tonearms because I was not satisfied. RS-A1, Tsurube, and then the SUPATRAC.
I bought one. Not because I needed one, but because I wanted one. It's an ingenious construction.

I would like to try a Korf sometime. It should also be well above average, and a Schröder and ...

Best regards

Arndt

...damit das Denken die Richtung ändern kann.
Pages:  «previous 1 [2] 3 4 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: