Lenco Heaven
September 16, 2024, 02:07:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Choosing a Tonearm—How?  (Read 1771 times)
Chrisg139

« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2022, 10:31:43 AM »

Hi Richard

I agree that you have concentrated on the bearing and encouraged DIY'ers to make their own- so I see no conflict. I think that members who have either made their own or bought your commercial version are doing a splendid job of promoting the arm and concept- and that's because it's so great! Keep up the good work!!!
 angel
Cheers
Chris
ropie
Administrator

« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2022, 11:02:37 AM »

I did not think we were supposed to discuss personnel commercial developments on the open forum. Or at least that was what I was instructed!!.
You have a point, Derek.

Apologies if I have stepped over a line. Let me know and I'll go back and delete my posts. I've tried to discuss a bearing concept rather than a particular product, but it's hard to know where the line is. I pointed out that several members have built successful SUPA bearings without buying any particular product.
Richard, perhaps keep your own involvement in discussions of your tonearm concepts either to the Traders' Section or to those threads which are specifically involved in making a DIY version. And please no links to your website outside of Traders.

oh, I'm sorry. Not my intention to get anyone into trouble! Please forgive me!
Jon, it's quite OK for members who are unassociated with the development of a product to talk about them in the open forum so don't worry wink
JohnLex

« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2022, 11:12:40 AM »

Piero makes a reasonable decision.

There are certainly times when my values regarding forums and marketing promotions are rattled. I would perhaps be more officious than I'd like to admit.  cheesy

The admins have a difficult job and are more lenient and generous than hardline and officious. No doubt in part due to the attitudes of members and those with commercial interests.  On balance it's a commendable state of affairs.

If LH put together an end of year awards list. I believe that Richard would be in line to recieve the Award For Outstanding Contribution. It would be highly deserved. 

John.
"He (John Coltrane) was playing at a little club called McKees, and I got there early to see Elvin Jones nailing his drum kit to the floor....." Terry Callier.
Robert Young

« Reply #48 on: June 29, 2022, 11:37:16 AM »

Piero makes a reasonable decision.

There are certainly times when my values regarding forums and marketing promotions are rattled. I would perhaps be more officious than I'd like to admit.  cheesy

The admins have a difficult job and are more lenient and generous than hardline and officious. No doubt in part due to the attitudes of members and those with commercial interests.  On balance it's a commendable state of affairs.

If LH put together an end of year awards list. I believe that Richard would be in line to recieve the Award For Outstanding Contribution. It would be highly deserved. 

Very well-said. A full concurrence here, regarding both the performance of our moderators and Richard’s contributions.

-Robert

L75/PTP6/Slate plinth/Schroeder/Allaerts+Bokrand/SPU; Thorens TD 124 + Signet XK50/Micro Acoustics 3002 + Infinity Black Widow/B&O mmc2 + SME 3009/Shure V15iii + Gray 108/GE RPX; modded Revox B77 2-track hi-speed; Air Tight ATC-1/ Fi Komuro 70/ JC Morrison TQWPs; Morrow and Kimber cabling
ACHiPo

« Reply #49 on: June 29, 2022, 03:19:16 PM »

Apologies if I have stepped over a line. Let me know and I'll go back and delete my posts. I've tried to discuss a bearing concept rather than a particular product, but it's hard to know where the line is. I pointed out that several members have built successful SUPA bearings without buying any particular product.
Richard,
I certainly appreciate your information as I was struggling to understand the mechanism.  I also appreciate your generosity in sharing the design principles with the DIY community!  Makes me wish I had room for a 4th tonearm!
Evan

Evan
ACHiPo

« Reply #50 on: June 29, 2022, 03:28:29 PM »

Very well-said. A full concurrence here, regarding both the performance of our moderators and Richard’s contributions.
Agree the moderators do a great job.  I defer to their guidance.  Just know that I perceived Richard’s comments on this thread as tech information not solicitation.

Thanks!

So back to tonearm selection criteria…

Tracking, which is influenced by bearing vertical location and cartridge/arm synergy (effective mass both vertical and horizontal)
Vibration/resonance—getting vibration out of the cart and preventing vibration from entering the cart
Stability/control—azimuth, Zenith, VTA consistency as the arm travels across the record
Features:  cueing, VTA adjustment, removable headshell, fit/finish
Physical size/weight—the tonearm has to fit the ‘table
Budget

What am I missing?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2022, 03:43:16 PM by ACHiPo » Logged

Evan
JohnLex

« Reply #51 on: June 29, 2022, 03:40:45 PM »

...........What am I missing?

Budget ?

John.
"He (John Coltrane) was playing at a little club called McKees, and I got there early to see Elvin Jones nailing his drum kit to the floor....." Terry Callier.
Robert Young

« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 03:42:18 PM »

Budget!

-Robert

L75/PTP6/Slate plinth/Schroeder/Allaerts+Bokrand/SPU; Thorens TD 124 + Signet XK50/Micro Acoustics 3002 + Infinity Black Widow/B&O mmc2 + SME 3009/Shure V15iii + Gray 108/GE RPX; modded Revox B77 2-track hi-speed; Air Tight ATC-1/ Fi Komuro 70/ JC Morrison TQWPs; Morrow and Kimber cabling
ACHiPo

« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 03:45:25 PM »

Budget!
Yep!  Forgot that.  Just added it.  Thanks!

Evan
tomatamot

« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 03:49:07 PM »

ropies_congrats

To Be or not to Rugby
tabarddn

TemaadAudio 12'' Ref Grade Tonearms

« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2022, 01:32:26 AM »

''Apologies if I have stepped over a line''

I was a little more surprised that the administrator did not say anything!!

Just want an even playing field for everyone.

Cheers

SUPATRAC

« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2022, 09:43:56 AM »

''Apologies if I have stepped over a line''

I was a little more surprised that the administrator did not say anything!!

Just want an even playing field for everyone.

Cheers

If you can point to where I promoted a particular product rather than discussing the SUPA bearing design in general then I will gladly edit/remove the offending text. I'm trying to stay the right side of the line!

Richard
ropie
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »

If you can point to where I promoted a particular product rather than discussing the SUPA bearing design in general then I will gladly edit/remove the offending text. I'm trying to stay the right side of the line!

The point is, I think, that you are talking about a product you make and sell in a thread that is really asking about buying a tonearm. This could be construed to be self promotion, which is not allowed outside of the Traders' Section on LH. Other people can talk about your tonearm in the open forum and how they like and use it, but you can't - that's part of the agreement about being a trader on LH. I'm sure you actually meant well, and yes the 'line' can be a bit fuzzy, especially as you offer help with the DIY version, but stick to the suggestion I made above and there should be no reason for any complaints or concerns from other traders or admin wink
ACHiPo

« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2022, 02:38:47 PM »

Ok trying to bring this back on point…

I received a new London Reference yesterday.  It was actually pretty easy to align as I already had a Shure V15 on the wand so it was just a matter of eyeing where the stylus was, swapping cartridges, setting VTA and VTF, and giving a listen.  Sheesh this this was bright!  Also tracking issues.  BUT no hum!  Dug out a couple 5 g brass weights I had, put one on the counterweight and one behind the cartridge, and voila!  Man, I see why people dig these cartridges!  I think there is definitely more to be had with more mass and some damping, but this arm and cartridge is a very good match.  The Reference is a keeper!

Sooo…

I either mount the Reference in the Pioneer head shell for easy swapping (requires swapping phono leads between MC an mM , keep it mounted on a Terminator “tomahawk” wand and swap between the Reference and Hyperion, mount the Hyperion on a Pioneer head shell for swapping with the Zero, or mount another arm.  I may try my WTT arm—it’s low mass but heavily damped so may work well with the Reference.  Or I may keep the Reference on the Terminator and get a new arm for the Hyperion.

I do see a third arm in my future.  Meanwhile I’m really enjoying the London Reference!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 03:14:21 PM by ACHiPo » Logged

Evan
tabarddn

« Reply #59 on: July 01, 2022, 03:32:01 AM »

Yes, for some reason most people think it should be used with a light arm, but it works much better with a highish mass arm. You have to control the shear energy that stylus produces, that is why if you could apply it silicon oil damping also helps.

Cheers Derek

Pages:  «previous 1 ... 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: