Lenco Heaven
September 23, 2024, 10:55:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 3 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sugden Connoisseur Craftsman III  (Read 1331 times)
PoLitODY

« on: March 29, 2023, 06:09:58 PM »

Hullo All,

I’m a new addition. Please call me Drew. I’ve recently come upon a Sugden turntable in a rather dilapidated state and being something of a tinkerer, determined to get her going again. In case you’re wondering, my screen name means “Plenty of Life in the Old Dog Yet” so there’s something of a theme going on here. My son’s 20th birthday is coming up and since he’s a vinyl junkie with a rather iffy Bluetooth turntable, I thought I’d present him with a Frankenstein deck which might well give him higher quality music reproduction.

Unfortunately the old girl came without a turntable platter, which is something of a stumbling block but where there’s a will there’s a way and I pride myself that I’m quite resourceful and inventive so for the last few weeks my spare hours have been spent slapping together a rough approximation of the original out of discarded bits’n’bobs with nothing but hand tools and an old pillar drill. I haven’t quite finished yet but I thought you chaps might be bemused by the result of my efforts. The bits’n’bobs in question range from stainless steel straws and scavenged parts of computer monitors to a cut-down micro drill and parts from an old fidget spinner. Of course, the biggest challenge is to make the centre of rotation as close as possible to the centre of the platter while keeping everything perpendicular because any variation in angle is going to be amplified by the 6” distance to the edge of the record. It remains to be seen how accurately I’ll have built it. A little jeopardy spices up a forum post so we’ll just have to see. Suffice to say I have a cunning plan for a way to adjust the angle. Here are a few pics. Thanks for taking an interest and if you have any comments I’d be more than happy to get a convo going.
PoLitODY

« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 06:19:12 PM »

Uhoh. I don’t seem able to attach pics.
ropie
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 06:24:39 PM »

If you are using the LH image upload function - don't forget to click the Paste to Post button after uploading wink
PoLitODY

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2023, 06:27:21 PM »

While we’re on the subject and since it seems to be a subject of interest all of the rubber mounts seem to be dusty but in very good condition. If anyone needs some I might be persuaded to make a few replicas. I don’t imagine it would be that difficult and if it means we get more of these old decks spinning again, so be it! If anyone can provide a pic of an original bare metal part it’d be a real help. The end that’s usually moulded into the rubber is of interest.
PoLitODY

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2023, 06:30:38 PM »

If you are using the LH image upload function - don't forget to click the Paste to Post button after uploading wink

Ah! Okay. Thanks. Let’s give that a go! smileysmileysmiley

PoLitODY

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2023, 06:40:42 PM »

I’m using the Image Upload ( Choose File ) button. I can select a single pic and a thumbnail comes up to the right of the Choose File button. I can’t paste. Might it be the fact that I’m using a phone?

I can use the image upload icon in the menu above the text input box but all I get is “ ” appearing in the text box with the cursor between the two sets of square brackets. When I tap the cursor I don’t get a paste option. Just select.

Hope this makes sense smiley

Correction: All I get is img and /img in square brackets smileysmiley‍♂️
willbewill
Administrator

Audiophile Delinquent

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2023, 08:59:24 AM »

I’m using the Image Upload ( Choose File ) button. I can select a single pic and a thumbnail comes up to the right of the Choose File button. I can’t paste. Might it be the fact that I’m using a phone?

I can use the image upload icon in the menu above the text input box but all I get is “ ” appearing in the text box with the cursor between the two sets of square brackets. When I tap the cursor I don’t get a paste option. Just select.

Hope this makes sense smiley

Correction: All I get is img and /img in square brackets smileysmiley‍♂️

You have to click and "Choose File" then click the "Upload" button, when it has uploaded click the "Past to post" button next to the thumbnail - if you then wish to upload more pics click the "Upload another" button and repeat process.

malcolm ("You can't shine if you don't burn" - Kevin Ayers)

colorIf what I'm hearing is colouration, then bring on the whole rainbow color
PoLitODY

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2023, 01:24:49 PM »

You have to click and "Choose File" then click the "Upload" button, when it has uploaded click the "Past to post" button next to the thumbnail - if you then wish to upload more pics click the "Upload another" button and repeat process.
PoLitODY

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2023, 01:34:56 PM »

Ahh! I seem too have successfully uploaded a pic! Paste to post only comes up after I tap an unmarked button to the right of the thumbnail. Glad we got that straight. Thanks for your help.

wenig watt

Der Kopf ist rund...

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2023, 04:22:01 PM »

Hello Drew, welcome!
But now, of course, we would really like to see the pictures of the replacement plate immediately and urgently! angry police wink

Best regards

Arndt

...damit das Denken die Richtung ändern kann.
PoLitODY

« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2023, 03:40:02 AM »

Hello Drew, welcome!
But now, of course, we would really like to see the pictures of the replacement plate immediately and urgently! angry police wink

Best regards

Arndt

Thanks for the warm welcome, Arndt. I don’t seem able to do anything immediately or urgently in this project but I’ll do my best to satisfy your enthusiasm.

The ugly metal disc in the first picture is the base for the platter. It started life as the base for a swivelling computer monitor about 15 years ago. It’s a little over 3mm thick galvanised steel and most of the holes are of no use at all. It’s good and heavy and it’s flat. And the centre hole is in the centre, which is a plus.

The larger plate is the ultimate size of the platter and it’s made from 3mm of a weird 1950’s composite wall board similar to Formica that was made by The Bakelite Company. It’s stiff, easy to cut and I had a sheet of it handy. You can see the eight screws that’ll hold the two together. The idea is to cast a thin layer of silicone rubber between the two and use the screws to dial-out any departure from perpendicular.

I haven’t seen the original platter, other than a picture elsewhere on lencoheaven so it’s all a matter of guesswork. The “receiver” part of the bearing is intact and I’ve cobbled together a spindle from various parts, starting with an 8mm OD / 6mm ID tube and figuring out a way to set the remains of a HSS drill bit, ground down to a rounded point into the end of the tube. At the other end I’ve currently got a tubular spacer that fits the adjustable opening of the “receiver” and a thrust bearing. Right now I’m not certain that I need the thrust bearing AND the point bearing as I’m really making things up as I go along.

Under the steel plate there’ll be a ring cast from epoxy which is what the drive wheel rotates. Wish I knew the exact diameter of the original. I’ll need to grind it down to the right diameter. Thankfully there’s a speed tuning control.

Yup. That’s a stack of old DVDRoms that I glued together for the inner diameter. The outer was an HDPE microwave pot of approximately the right size.

The full visible part of the platter should end up around 25-30mm thick and I have some clear acrylic sheets around 10mm thick from the screens of the previously mentioned computer monitors. I might even place some LEDs to give the whole thing an eerie glow.

While I’m at it, the neon is burned out so I’ll probably replace that with an LED that’s set to 50Hz. Really not sure about setting the platter speed from a mains-driven neon anyway since surely that would be driven from the same source as the motor. Maybe I’ve missed something there.

Anyway, thanks for taking an interest. Right now I’m summoning up the courage to attack those acrylic screens with a jig saw and trying to unstick that PTFE washer which was intended to be the upper surface of the thrust bearing from a smaller epoxy casting in the centre of the base plate. Will post more when I manage to extricate it.

Cheers!

Drew
PoLitODY

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2023, 03:49:40 AM »

That was this afternoon. Here’s this evening. The clear epoxy blob is the beginnings of a bearing surface and the PTFE washer was intended to establish its surface height, on the basis that it wouldn’t stick. Which it has!

Wish me luck!

Cheers

Drew
wenig watt

Der Kopf ist rund...

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2023, 08:45:16 AM »

Wow,
that is very sympathetic madness! I am curious if the result is fun. Good luck!

Best regards

Arndt

...damit das Denken die Richtung ändern kann.
PoLitODY

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2023, 12:40:16 PM »

Wow,
that is very sympathetic madness! I am curious if the result is fun. Good luck!

Best regards

Arndt

Sympathetic madness? I suppose so. I hadn’t really thought about it. Necessity is the Mother of invention and I do relish a technical challenge so perhaps that’s the root of my insanity. LOL

Many thanks for the good wishes

Drew
frothy

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2023, 03:14:21 PM »

Welcome Drew, rather interesting build you've taken on.
Use of scrap pieces from what one might call junk and creating something completely "out there" .....refreshing  icon_thumright
Will be back as you progress, good "fly by the seat of your pants" stuff.
have fun...frothy

marcus
Pages:   [1] 2 3 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: