Lenco Heaven
October 16, 2024, 09:53:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: luxman K 10 cassette deck  (Read 561 times)
frothy

« on: December 16, 2023, 05:42:04 PM »

Just got back my Lux R1050 receiver, have been watching Cassette decks for awhile now as I have a wack of cassettes.
This Luxman K 10 was listed today and would fit in quite nicely....I don't want to pick-up a crapper just because it fits in and looks good.
I don't have much (any) experience with separates (cassette decks ), just boombox  decks.
Want to purchase at least a mid-fi unit, quality cassette decks are commanding big bucks, this unit comes in at couple hundred CDN, within my budget which is good.
what do you think....other recommendations... no rush with this I am really still in the look/learn stage.
best to all this season...frothy

marcus
harryt

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2023, 01:40:18 PM »

Marcus,
I have been using a Denon DRM-540 off and on since I bought it new in the early 90s, more off than on after about 2000. Before that I had a Yamaha, long gone (I do not remember the model). However, I do pull it out occasionally to give it a run and listen to some of the "mix tapes" I made. Also, I have occasionally taped a record that for the most part is fine but has one or two really damaged tracks that I do not want my stylus running over. So I skip them in taping and can enjoy the rest of the album. The sound from it is just fine. As my ears and I get older, I find it harder to tell subtle differences in sound quality from various sources and quite enjoy these tapes. If I had more room and more inputs on my pre-amp, I might have it always connected to my system. If you plan to use it a lot, consider a head de-magnetizer. Good luck in your search.
Harry
frothy

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2023, 03:01:41 PM »

Thanks Harry ,nice to hear from you, drove by your place couple weeks ago and was wondering how you and family doing. Best this season and in the new year...Marcus

marcus
harryt

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2023, 12:21:50 PM »

Thanks Marcus,
I hope you and your family have a happy festive season and a great New Year and that you find that cassette deck you want to enjoy your tapes.
Take care,
Harry
Colin_EJJ
Cotswold Meet

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2023, 01:14:53 PM »

Having used cassettes more or less constantly for 50 years, with a few decks through the system, I can recommend taking your time to find the right one. When I got back into them, after a hiatus, I needed a new deck and bought a Teac V1050 from around 2002. It has three heads and a whole range of Dolby options (B, C and S) so seemed to tick all the right boxes but it had a disappointingly light build. It wouldn't play some of my older tapes, so I went after an older machine which did and was much more substantial.

Although Dolby S is a good thing from the recording point of view, it appears to mark the point at which many manufacturers weren't putting much effort into the mechanics. Even Nakamichi used a generic Sanyo.

So I'd recommend having a look at the tapeheads forum - lots of recommendations there and plenty of comments on build quality. Luxman did some serious machines and the K10 spec looks very good. It's also from the right era - cassette decks seemed to peak in the late 70s to mid-80s.
frothy

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2023, 12:28:52 AM »

Thanks Collin followed your advice, went to tapeheads, another good audio site from what I could glean.
Merry Christmas to all, frothy

marcus
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: