Lenco Heaven
September 19, 2024, 03:12:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idler Alignment Walk-Through  (Read 317 times)
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2024, 12:51:18 PM »

Ah, OK.  The surface is not parallel with the axis, so setting the wheel relative to the axis will make it out of alignment, more at one end than at the other.  I set it at 90 degrees to the 33 rpm part of the spindle, as that is what I use 99.9% of the time.
 EDIT;
I have now remembered what I did (getting old, memory getting worse!).  I adjusted the angle of the spindle, by lowering one end of the motor to get the surface at the right angle.  This keeps the wheel/platter alignment correct.
It may or may not make an audible difference, but anyway, that's what I chose to do.

The motor hangs in a nose up orientation so the top surface of the spindle is parallel to the platter underside.This is the original Lenco design intent. This orientation is upset if the motor suspension springs are not replaced to their correct positions ( in case the motor is taken out for overhaul). The springs are not identical, each one has specific position and must go back there.
Some people tried inserting some damping material washers in the springs. This only served to upset the geometry and caused rumble, after that there was a wild goose chase to drive the rumble out of the perfect motor  laugh

Regards,

Anwesh

awkwardbydesign

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2024, 04:06:36 PM »

Indeed, but sometimes one has springs that are not obviously correct, so some fiddling may be required.   Perhaps I should have kept it more straightforward.

Richard.
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2024, 05:03:42 PM »

Indeed, but sometimes one has springs that are not obviously correct, so some fiddling may be required.   Perhaps I should have kept it more straightforward.

Cheers Richard  smiley
I am all for experiments , even though sometimes they fly in the face of theories and calculations and may fail  Roll Eyes,

Anwesh

SteveM

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2024, 05:08:40 PM »

I dont understand what the surface of the spindle is as a reference point. The axis is straightforward.

I hope you realize now that the motor should be ignored when aligning the wheel.
Did the noise start after you installed the new wheel?
Looking at your 1st picture it seems the circlip(?) is not snug against the wheel, can you check it?
And of course everything is properly lubed right?

vinyl>modded L78>Pickering XV-15 w/DTL-2S>Rabco SL8e>Lehmann Black Cube w/PWX>Simaudio I-5>Totem Sttaf
- otherwise NAD 4300 or Arcam FMJ DV139
stevenarrow

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2024, 04:20:48 AM »

I hope you realize now that the motor should be ignored when aligning the wheel.
Did the noise start after you installed the new wheel?
Looking at your 1st picture it seems the circlip(?) is not snug against the wheel, can you check it?
And of course everything is properly lubed right?

Will check the clip. Thanks!

Everything is lubed double checked.

Got the parts for an alignment jig and thought I’d try out a rough one this evening. The wheel was out more than a couple mm’s from square to the platter. A quick bend of the idler arm with a vice grip pliers… and it’s dead quiet now.

Will re do it all on my final build… stay tuned.

I know this app isn’t perfect but I’m getting the best numbers over ever seen. Even better than my Technics SP10r.

Thanks again all.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2024, 03:08:07 PM by stevenarrow » Logged

Steve B
awkwardbydesign

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2024, 09:40:01 AM »

If you like making alignment jigs, here's a fun one to make.

From this.

Richard.
Pages:  «previous 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: