Lenco Heaven
September 19, 2024, 04:46:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do? Tonearm dilemma  (Read 122 times)
marcallain

« on: September 18, 2024, 11:14:49 PM »

Hey everyone,

Everyone seems to be more technologically detailed than I am. Give me old mechanical things, and i'll fix the heck out of them.

My issue is that I can't figure out if all this work. I have a Lenco L70 with original tonearm. I haven't gotten to service it yet so I'm not sure the condition. After all the reading here, i ended up getting a Denon 103 cartridge.

Recently a Stax UA7 with the carbon fibre arm has been made available locally. I see it's a correct drop-in for the L70 but I get confused with the effective mass/cartridge mumbo jumbo.

Can someone tell me if the Stax arm, Denon cartridge will be a good match?

Much appreciated!

marc
Jogi

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2024, 11:37:25 PM »

The Stax is a nice arm, but not suitable for the 103. The stock arm should work just fine with it though. The 103 really starts to shine in a +20g arm, I would try it with the Lenco arm first.
Alternative is a Audio Technica AT-1005, be it the first or the second version.

greetings from Juergen
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: Today at 03:03:57 AM »

IMO the mojo of the L70 is the dynamically balanced arm. There are quite a few users here who are enjoying the L70 with the original arm. My suggestion, If you want to try out the Stax arm , get a L75 and install it there.

Regards,

Anwesh

GP49

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:57:30 AM »

You mean "dynamically UNbalanced."

Gene
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: Today at 05:11:55 AM »

You mean "dynamically UNbalanced."

Well , whatever it may be. I mean SUTAVTF i. e. spring used to adjust vertical tracking force. Most of the long player L70s around here are those that retained the original tonearm. And my suggestion is also based on the OPs requirement that he wants to use a DL103 , and as pointed out by Jogi , that cartridge is a much better match to the L70 arm than the Stax.

Regards,

Anwesh

hatehifi

"fascinating times in which we are living"~grandpa

« Reply #5 on: Today at 07:07:09 AM »

Well , whatever it may be. I mean SUTAVTF i. e. spring used to adjust vertical tracking force. Most of the long player L70s around here are those that retained the original tonearm. And my suggestion is also based on the OPs requirement that he wants to use a DL103 , and as pointed out by Jogi , that cartridge is a much better match to the L70 arm than the Stax.

Regards,

Anwesh

What Anwesh said.

Cheers!

John
Little Feat (Mercenary Territory)  
"I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show. Well I'm so plain loco,  fool that I am I'd do it all over again."
reza

« Reply #6 on: Today at 07:08:12 AM »

Recently a Stax UA7 with the carbon fibre arm has been made available locally. I see it's a correct drop-in for the L70 but I get confused with the effective mass/cartridge mumbo jumbo.

marc

I dont know the L70 well but guessing similar to L75 which is pivot to spindle 210mm and the UA7 is 227mm so confused by what you mean by drop in
analogadikt
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: Today at 08:10:45 AM »

I dont know the L70 well but guessing similar to L75 which is pivot to spindle 210mm and the UA7 is 227mm so confused by what you mean by drop in

The L70 arm is longer than the L75. L70 spindle to pivot is 227 or 228 mm iirc. It should also be noted that if installing a counter weighted ( static balanced) arm that matches this , then it becomes necessary to make a cutout in the dustcover as the CW protrudes beyond the edge of the top plate and the plinth.

Regards,

Anwesh

reza

« Reply #8 on: Today at 08:33:56 AM »

The L70 arm is longer than the L75. L70 spindle to pivot is 227 or 228 mm iirc. It should also be noted that if installing a counter weighted ( static balanced) arm that matches this , then it becomes necessary to make a cutout in the dustcover as the CW protrudes beyond the edge of the top plate and the plinth.

Regards,

Anwesh

I stand corrected then
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: