Lenco Heaven
October 09, 2024, 04:26:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linn Basik LVX drop in replacement vs. SME 3009 improved  (Read 11 times)
kohngallery

« on: October 08, 2024, 11:39:57 PM »

I wanted to try out a replacement tonearm for one of my L75s (the other one is a Bogen B52). It was hard to find a decently priced Jelco drop in for my L75 so I installed an SME 3009 series 2 improved that I already owned.  I had to cut the plate a little with a dremel and it was fun!  I liked the combo, and the look.  Then I thought I should upgrade to a newer arm, a known drop-in replacement, thinking I would get a cleaner and more defined sound, and I settled on a Linn Basik LXV.  Dropped it in.  After the adjustments it sounded pretty nice and I proceeded to digitize some albums with an Ortofon A Mono cartridge.  The Ortofon A Mono is very forgiving of surface and groove noise, and I've had amazing results recording Jazz albums from the late 50s and early 60s.  I decided to do a sound/recoding test and re-recorded a track that I had earlier done with the SME 3009.  When I listened to each track, switching back and forth and comparing passages I found that the SME simply had more depth, a little more resonance in the right places, and an overall strength that the Linn Basik could not muster.  The only difference was that with the SME/Ortofon A Mono combo I added a hefty head shell weight.  I had trouble fitting the same weight on the Linn head shell so the cartridge was alone.  Would that difference in set up account for the difference in slam? Does it have anything to do with tonearm mass?  Has anyone used the Linn Basik LXV with exciting results they would share?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: