Lenco Heaven
September 16, 2024, 07:50:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 9 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Karl's Lenco and other nice things!  (Read 24156 times)
fasterbyelan
Cotswold Meet

"If the first watt sucks, who wants another one?"

« on: April 28, 2011, 02:52:30 PM »

I thought it time to show the Lenco world what I’ve been up to regarding TT modification.  I will say at the outset that whilst I do not have many points of reference regarding sound quality, it is clear that the results I have achieved thus far as amazing.  To this end I am grateful to the forum members for their words of wisdom and inspiration – thank you.

So, I bought a good Goldring Lenco L75 late last year in the hope of modifying it gradually (and hence noting the hopefully improving sound quality).  Alas the TT did not survive the delivery as the platter came loose and damaged the arm, case, cover ect.  So after a refund and disposing of the useless parts, a plasma cutter reduced the metal base as thus -

I felt it important to secure the area under the platter securely to the plinth rather than let it float above it thus ensuring good coupling.  Cutting the metal away in the manner shown made this easier to carry out as well as also produced IMO an elegant visual solution.

The plinth came next and whilst I would like a Slate/Hardwood one, the MDF in the garage looked too inviting and provided a quick means to this end.  It advantages were that I could modify it to suit changes I knew would happen as the design evolved and I have the tools/skills to work with it.  So by mid December the TT looked like this –

Diane, my wife, bought me the Denon cartridge as a present, so over the holiday period I played a large number of records.  It was clear that the TT was dynamic and open and able to replicate lower frequencies with ease but above all it was musical and involving – I was enjoying myself and I did not feel that the TT was a weak link in the audio chain. Also even though I was using a low output cartridge, the noise level was quite low. It was a significant move up from my old TT, a Technics  SL QL1.

As a slight aside, I also built a phono amp based on a World Audio Design from the mid ‘90’s and after correcting the woefully incorrect RIAA filtering, it was ready to go on Christmas Eve.

Other construction details of the TT are shown below –

I have used a balsa wood shim to ensure good coupling. The layers of MDF are bolted together, 4 8mm bolts from the bottom and 4 4mm bolts from the top under the platter.  The bolts screw into Keenserts bonded in the MDF (Keenserts are designed for use on composite materials).

The switched IEC connector has the wires soldered to its spade connections and the 4 wires are screened. I have separate earth’s for the motor and metal base (star wired) hence the extra wire. I have found an improvement is sound quality when the earths are used (less backgound noise).

I had been in discussion with Jeff at Audiomods regarding his tonearm kits and having ordered one in December, this arrived mid January.  It was good fun building the kit although the wiring was quite a challenge.  I decided to use Audionote AN-WIRE-300 wire and even though I have considerable experience in soldering I found it difficult to work with (it has a mind of its own!)  I used silk tubing to run the tonearm wire within the arm as this would not only protect the wire but also absorb any vibrational energy (the wire and tubing are available from HiFi Collective)

So by mid April the TT looked like this –

I was a little nervous prior to using the TT with the new arm for the first time but I need not have worried – it was amazing and I suppose in upgrade terms it’s a huge step up. Briefly, there just seemed to be much more control whilst lower level info seemed to emanate from a much blacker background. Obviously I had change several thing so the improvements were the summation of these (Arm, wiring, interconnect, additional mass on headshell)

So the next step is to replace the bearing as it will now be a weak point of the TT.  The mechanical platter on/off lever and associated linkage will go as they are not used and this will possibly enable the MDF base to be glued together. I also need to raise the platter mat by about 6mm as the VTA is not ideal so will have to find some suitable material to this end (the Audiomods arm is higher than the Rega).

I hope this has been of use and once again thanks to you all. Any comments, questions or criticism welcome!

« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 01:58:31 PM by fasterbyelan » Logged

Karl

Lenco -cause it's got soul!

My audio world here
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
ZZMoko

David

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 03:42:26 PM »

That's one great looking arm, did you just start off with the basic Rega arm and then pimp it afro

I also I like the art deco influenced shape of the plinth you built, maybe a Deco style paint job on it would take it to the next level.

I have always wondered about Rega arms & Denon Dl103's, as coming from the Thorens side there always seemed to be some prejudice against  that particular combination but I can't remember the reasoning behind it. I'm glad to hear you like your set up so much as it may send me off in the same direction.

Garrard 401 & Jelco 750L Ortofon Classic GMII E SPU, MusicMaster GE VRII,Kerr McCosh System, Squeezebox, Beresford Caiman and JBL 4425 speakers
rho

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 03:56:15 PM »

It's an Audiomods arm. Yes, you start from a basic Rega RB250, 251, 300 or 301 and have the mods done by Audiomods or do it yourself.

Very nice design, BTW. I absolutely love it! (including the arm)
What finish will you use on the MDF?

Rik
fasterbyelan
Cotswold Meet

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 04:20:23 PM »

That's one great looking arm, did you just start off with the basic Rega arm and then pimp it afro

I also I like the art deco influenced shape of the plinth you built, maybe a Deco style paint job on it would take it to the next level.

I have always wondered about Rega arms & Denon Dl103's, as coming from the Thorens side there always seemed to be some prejudice against  that particular combination but I can't remember the reasoning behind it. I'm glad to hear you like your set up so much as it may send me off in the same direction.

I bought a kit from Jeff, which included the arm. The Rega tonearm I already had is basically brand new so it would have been stupid to remove the arm from it (the arm costs only £32 including the rest and arm lift). And yes, I did drill and polish the arm. I was unsure which pattern to use for the holes and after several false starts with pen and paper, I used the template provided.  I did however drill a few more holes and, once finally polished and fitted, I am pleased with the results.  Additionally, I stripped all the other parts down and where required improved their finish.  There was nothing wrong with the supplied kit, it’s just that I have high standards!

I would say that the arm/cartridge comb does not give a laid back sound but it is certainly not in your face. I'm an energetic person and my audio set up reflects this. As I said earlier, I do not have many points of reference regarding audio replay so others are better placed to comment although having said that I'm rapidly learning!

The Art Deco influence infuses much of my design work and I will probably veneer the plinth, Cheery and Purpleheart sound favourite!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 10:52:50 AM by fasterbyelan » Logged

Karl

My audio world here
_______________________________________________________________________________________________
fasterbyelan
Cotswold Meet

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »

It's an Audiomods arm. Yes, you start from a basic Rega RB250, 251, 300 or 301 and have the mods done by Audiomods or do it yourself.

Very nice design, BTW. I absolutely love it! (including the arm)
What finish will you use on the MDF?

No, you have to use a RB250/251 arm as the bearing diameter is greater.  This is the reason why this arm has the greatest potential for improvements.  The cost saving is quite large if you carry out the work yourself but you do need proper tools to complete the work to a good standard.  Having said that even buying a completed arm is excellent value for money IMO.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 04:30:34 PM by fasterbyelan » Logged

Karl

My audio world here
Eustacius

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:47:24 PM »

Very nice plinth.  love4 I like the lines, very elegant. (I envy your skill. It seems to be a precision job...)

I planned to use that kit myself, but I stumbled over an SME so I shall try that first. I have heard nothing but good about that mod/kit!

Christoffer

"They'll beg for your strength, your gentle power, your noble grace and your bearing."
Johan

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 08:51:19 PM »

That is a really nice TT you have made!
I like the lines, no: the curves.

Nice way of making the speed setting plate. It almost looks like the thich one on a L70.

Good work!

Johan
WL70 - ΨAΘIN MS-12B - Icon Audio ST40 - Fostex FF125wk Fonkens
Oracle_309

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 09:34:32 PM »

I have an issue with MDF. It really is very nasty stuff. Personally I'd make one of Baltic Birch plywood and then veneer it. There is a reason so many people have used Baltic Birch.
The plinth is nicely shaped and really suits the style of the motor unit/platter combination.

What are using for feet?

Paul

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 10:00:18 PM »

A lovely job all round Karl.
fasterbyelan
Cotswold Meet

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2011, 11:34:16 AM »

I have an issue with MDF. It really is very nasty stuff. Personally I'd make one of Baltic Birch plywood and then veneer it. There is a reason so many people have used Baltic Birch.
The plinth is nicely shaped and really suits the style of the motor unit/platter combination.

What are using for feet?

Yes, I totally agree about the dangers of using MDF and I take some precautions when using such.  There include working outside, a breathing mask and some form of extraction where possible. Obviously these basic steps should be taken when working with any material that is going to be machined, and hence, produce fine particles (MDF is particularly bad in this respect).  The dangers are somewhat exacerbated with man made products, like plywood and MDF for example, as they contain glues which are considered dangerous to health.

Regarding the feet, at the moment I am using three rubber/ sorbothane /rubber stacks, 40mm in dia,. These are about 15mm thick in total.  I intend to add wood to these, again about 15 mm thick, and then they will fit into the holes I have machined in the bottom of the plinth (see photo above). Only the wood will then be visible. This will give me the option of changing the make up of the stacks at a later date to see if there are any improvements in TT performance. I have not use metal spikes as the TT sits on a glass top.

Karl

My audio world here
strata

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2011, 03:12:29 PM »

Very original and beautiful build!!  afro

Michael
“The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite insane.” Nikola Tesla
GuyL

« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2011, 11:14:01 AM »

Very original and beautiful build!!  afro

+1  thumbsup
rfgumby
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 02:19:32 PM »

Nice table and a really nice arm!  Congratulations.

Scott

Keep a clean nose, watch the plain clothes
You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows    -Bob Dylan
hatehifi

"fascinating times in which we are living"~grandpa

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 10:13:25 PM »

Very nice Karl!

John
Little Feat (Mercenary Territory)  
"I've did my time in that rodeo. It's been so long and I've got nothing to show. Well I'm so plain loco,  fool that I am I'd do it all over again."
mediaman

Music forever :)

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 03:36:41 PM »

Fantastic work

Daniel

And the beat goes on [Ol]
Pages:   [1] 2 ... 9 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: