Lenco Heaven
July 03, 2024, 11:53:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 39 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jean 's PTP Project : YODA SOLAR SLATE .  (Read 66818 times)
eduardo

« Reply #135 on: June 12, 2009, 04:04:04 PM »

The inclusions make give it a unique look and great silken legs.
Excellent project.

Take care.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2009, 04:08:30 PM by eduardo » Logged

Eduardo
jloveys

« Reply #136 on: June 14, 2009, 01:32:40 AM »

Last straight line before listening tests: Electrical wiring , Motor testing and speed control of platter. I had to unscrew the PTP again. I took 2 capacitors from 2 L75 donors, solder mains and motor wires to PTP switch as described on the new Peter's diagram ( very helpful, thanks Peter ):

I plug in 220V mains, switch on...and the motor runs. Absolutely quiet. grin
I screwed back the PTP but this time I bought a special screwdriver and the hex screws are now on top of PTP.

Now I put the YODA on main platform, replacing TD 124, looking jealous ( cry) and speed check with KAB strobe...

I let it run 24 hours and speed is still spot on, amazing it is !  huh
I fixed the tonearmboard and phono cable ( Purist Venustas )...VTA,VTF, cart alignment.
And tomorrow will be the big DAY, first listening session with YODA. grin grin grin

Good night folks, cool
Jean.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:11:36 AM by jloveys » Logged

JEAN ...
daiwok

« Reply #137 on: June 14, 2009, 01:35:27 AM »

Jean,

have you serviced the Lenco bearing and motor ? you will be amazed the improvements with some cleaning and lubrication can bring to the Lenco  cool

seems you have a pretty good donor already  grin

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
jloveys

« Reply #138 on: June 14, 2009, 01:54:17 AM »

David, servicing the motor is very time consuming, as I have seen on Francois Lenco Reference site. That is why I choosed a NOS motor absolutely quiet and smooth running. When I have more time I will service it. Now for bearing I am considering Joel's kit. But I am already amazed how silent,speed stable and free of rumble it is like that, with no servicing.
An important thing is to check the compression of the motor suspension springs. They where too compressed by the bolds and motor chassis was touching the PTP when idler wheel engaged and platter running, making a noise. I unscrewed the 3 bolds the max and put locklite. Now it is completely silent.
Jean.

JEAN ...
jorsan

« Reply #139 on: June 14, 2009, 02:04:47 AM »

One question here, I've read somewhere that using the PTP2 or 3, the idler wheel is always tuching the plate, if thats the case, in the long run this situation could ruin the rubber that surrounds the wheel right?, am I correct or this is just not true?
daiwok

« Reply #140 on: June 14, 2009, 04:42:29 AM »

David, servicing the motor is very time consuming, as I have seen on Francois Lenco Reference site. That is why I choosed a NOS motor absolutely quiet and smooth running. When I have more time I will service it. Now for bearing I am considering Joel's kit. But I am already amazed how silent,speed stable and free of rumble it is like that, with no servicing.
An important thing is to check the compression of the motor suspension springs. They where too compressed by the bolds and motor chassis was touching the PTP when idler wheel engaged and platter running, making a noise. I unscrewed the 3 bolds the max and put locklite. Now it is completely silent.
Jean.

Actually servicing the motor is about 1 hr max, its not too difficult and very straight forward - just like a straight forward MIS gall bladder removal  wink tongue

Even with NOS motor, the lubricant needs to be changed IMHO, over the years it has aged - its like gunk. You will hear a much smoother and better sound once the service is done.

Joel's kit is a very good upgrade and necessary if your bearing is old. There are other bearing offerers here as well. I use a ceramic bearing and seems to perform a bit better.

The motor screws should always be released to the maximum, that is how it is designed - hence you are having the silent motor running.

The Lenco is so much fun once you start upgrading, cleaning, lubricating and you will notice all the differences  laugh

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
daiwok

« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2009, 04:43:53 AM »

One question here, I've read somewhere that using the PTP2 or 3, the idler wheel is always tuching the plate, if thats the case, in the long run this situation could ruin the rubber that surrounds the wheel right?, am I correct or this is just not true?

Yes it is true, you could have a flat spot, switch on the turntable, let it run for a few minutes and its gone ! I do not disengage my idler wheel and so far I cannot hear any problems through my system. Wheel looks perfectly fine to me.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 05:10:06 AM by daiwok » Logged

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
jorsan

« Reply #142 on: June 14, 2009, 05:09:15 AM »

good to know, thanks
jloveys

« Reply #143 on: June 14, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »

Actually servicing the motor is about 1 hr max, its not too difficult and very straight forward - just like a straight forward MIS gall bladder removal  wink tongue

OK David, could you quickly describe YOUR way to service the motor and bearing and what lubricants do you use please ?
Thank you .  wink
Jean.

JEAN ...
jloveys

« Reply #144 on: June 14, 2009, 10:04:23 AM »

Rainy sunday here in Brussels, perfect for YODA's first listening session !  grin
We have to remember that is in use the same system,tonearm, cartridge and plinth as the TD 124 MKII.

First impression, YODA is a very DYNAMIC turntable. I had to crank down 2 steps in volume control. shocked
It is very quiet, dark background and no rumble at all.
Speed/pitch is the most perfect I ever heard from ANY turntable I heard so far. Piano sounds like real, brass are in the room.
After 2 hours I can say that YODA is as musical as the TD 124/slate but more dynamic and 3D sounding. The soundstage is deeper and notes are more percussive.
Billie Holiday has never been so emotional, especialy in mono. I am VERY impressed. huh
This is a short preview, needs more listening, but for me until now YODA is a clear winner ! Kiss Kiss Kiss
But to be fair I must compare side by side and with more than a pair of good ears.

The only thing that bother's me is the hassle to switch 33 to 45 RPM speed, I have many 45's and I change from one to the other very often . So I think that the speed controler will be soon added to YODA for convenience.
Also when I switch on/off the motor there is a loud "pop" in the speakers, even with the 2 capacitors on the switch.
More later,
Jean.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 10:14:11 AM by jloveys » Logged

JEAN ...
daiwok

« Reply #145 on: June 14, 2009, 11:34:06 AM »

Don't worry Jean, I am hearing exactly the same "type" of sound. Dynamic, nice body and dark background - best of all very musical  cool

With regards to the motor and bearing maintenance, the main thing is to get a pair of these c-clip pliers to release the C-clip on the bearing and also in the motor

For bearing - take off the cap, use the c-clip pliers to release the c-clip - once this is done, you undo the screw at the side of the bearing and everything is released. You can clean up your spindle and bearing ball etc. The screw that you have released, can be screwed back with a bit of teflon tape on the screw to help insulate any leakage. refill the bearing with some synthetic oil - for ease of finding, you can 3 in 1 oil

I am sure there are many other suggestions here.

The motor needs to be services in 2 parts, but each is just as straight forward, but take your time. The front end of the motor (the end with is just the nose). Again you can release the screw (also known as the screw nose) and then release the c-clip and you will see the bronze bearing with lost of grease.  Make sure you make a note of each of the items as you take it apart and how you would out it back in the same order. A photograph from a DC is useful here. Clean out everything (lighter fuel is a good cleaning agent).  To relube - I use a lithium silicon grease, smooth and operates on high temperature without any issues.

For the opposite side of the motor, this is very similar, just release by removing the screws to the wire junction box. again clean and re-lube as before.

If you want to tune the motor - you can do this by tightening or un-tighten the nose screw, its rather ease, put the motor flat, plug in the electricity (care with the electric running) and as you tighten or release the nose screw, normally you tighten until you can hear a bit of noise or feel the motor vibrate, now just take the screw back the opposite direction just a touch - perfect !

I want to take photos of the above process, but I have no natural light now in my flat and is getting late in the day to do this. I have some spare bearings and motors and will document the above in time. Sorry Jean if you don't understand my description, then you have to wait just a bit longer.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 11:36:22 AM by daiwok » Logged

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
Jos

« Reply #146 on: June 14, 2009, 01:14:54 PM »

Hi Jean,

I've done Joel's bearing upgrade a couple of months ago and it's great.
Joel is communicative, you'll receive a neat little package and it's a fun small job.
Takes about an hour, plus running-in time ofcourse.
There is a pdf-file with step-by-step instructions. I could mail it to you if you wish, but I believe you can also obtain it with Joel's kit.
Happy spinning.

Jos

jloveys

« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2009, 10:40:16 PM »

Thanks for the servicing tips . Kiss
Second listening session with two audiophile friends with only 45 RPM Music Matters Blue notes. Sonic bliss for everybody, my Quads 57 never sounded better and so dynamic. A rare thing for ESL's ! Everybody is OK to say that Yoda is a great turntable . I am very happy of the results. Still have to play with TD 124 side by side.

Now I would like to use a very useful tool I had with my former VPI TNT superplatter: the Periphery ring clamp, a stainless steel ring to clamp the rim of record, bettering contact with the platter and acting as flywheel.
The Lenco platter is 31,2 cm diameter so too large to fit the ring that is 0,6 cm shorter.

So I will have to machine the platter to make the ring fit, seems possible with Lenco and not with TD 124. smiley
Best,
Jean
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 12:28:59 AM by jloveys » Logged

JEAN ...
nigel

« Reply #148 on: June 14, 2009, 10:46:05 PM »

Glad to hear it's sounding good, Jean smiley

Also when I switch on/off the motor there is a loud "pop" in the speakers, even with the 2 capacitors on the switch.

Did you re-use capacitors from your "donor" decks? If so, they may have been faulty anyway. I would suggest using new ones - I have some here - do you want me to post you a couple?

Silence must be heard
Noise should be observed     (Cretu)
jloveys

« Reply #149 on: June 14, 2009, 11:00:42 PM »

Thank you Nigel, I would really appreciate. Don't forget it is you who made me jump in the Lenco Heaven, you see I have made a long way and YODA is the result. I am very happy and quite addicted to say the least !
Now your Garrard will be the next project. Glastonbury first ! cool
Best,
Jean.

JEAN ...
Pages:  «previous 1 ... 9 [10] 11 ... 39 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: