Lenco Heaven
May 19, 2024, 03:05:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages:  «previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next»   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Garrard 301 and other tables.  (Read 12312 times)
jaspert

tubey & horny

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2009, 05:30:06 AM »

Marine ply is brilliant! Candy, and my 401 are plinthed in marine ply...

I use 18mm on the grounds I can just about pick a sheet of it up. 25mm (preferred) is way too heavy for me.

18mm for me too and quite easy to work with for a first timer. BTW, your Candy build is fantastic and i enjoy the thread immensely and the one on Andioenz forum too.
fergs1

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »

Very unique and good looking Lenco you have there. I love the look of Earle's amp and i'm considering getting something from him for my Fostex backloaded horn speakers in the future. I had one of his EL34 amp briefly but i was asking it to do the wrong thing at the time , like driving an very inefficient Dynaudio standmount. embarrassed
I have never heard OB speakers before and wouldn't mind having a listen of one in the future. BTW I think you grille needs to be more child proof. grin

I think my speakers have to worry about me more than the chillin'. I think earles amps are superb and a real bargin, although like any valve amp the don't like complex crossovers and variations in impedance, but when you hear the 300b do its thing on OB it really is where its at. Like I say your most welcome to come down and check out the system. I'm really suprised there aren't more Lencoites doing OB as they really turn the notion of what a natural sound is on its head and there is no turning back. Seriously looking into a PTP3 and slate plinth, it all looks too good. Would you care to PM me your number and we can chew the fat about the slate avenue.We may even be able to share some costs to save a bit o' dough.
                                                                                      cheers  fergs

Life has surface noise!
MrIgotNomoney

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2009, 04:06:58 AM »

My what a collection of classic tables!!! im in awe.
I have to say The Garrards are pretty wonderful, I have never owned one but one of these days I will.
The Commonwealth table is incredible, I have never seen anything like that.
Im very doubtful that there is a single one in the US,
I have to say If I see one ill be all over it.
WOW, we have Russco,Gates,Qrk broadcast tables, sometimes you might see an RCA or Fairchild but I dont think I have ever seen anything close to the Commonwealth.

bob
jaspert

tubey & horny

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2009, 02:31:40 PM »

My what a collection of classic tables!!! im in awe.
I have to say The Garrards are pretty wonderful, I have never owned one but one of these days I will.
The Commonwealth table is incredible, I have never seen anything like that.
Im very doubtful that there is a single one in the US,
I have to say If I see one ill be all over it.
WOW, we have Russco,Gates,Qrk broadcast tables, sometimes you might see an RCA or Fairchild but I dont think I have ever seen anything close to the Commonwealth.

bob

Hi Bob,

Cheers.According to the local vintage wares sellers, quite a few of these Commonwealth Electronic idlers are now heading overseas to Singapore, Japan ,Russia, Europe and may be one or two might be residing in US now.  Frank Schroeder has one too i believe. They used to go for peanut money but the price is heading towards $1k+ mark now.

I have just cut 8 pieces of birch plywood to make a plinth for it.Hoping it will be up and running soon.

Just added a Lenco L70 to the mix today. :

jaspert

tubey & horny

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2009, 02:55:20 PM »

While i continue to wait to see if i can get some slate plinth for my Lenco PTP3 and SP10Mk2,
I  got off my backside and got the saw and router out briefly yesterday afternoon just before it rained.
Just enough time for one layer of ply for the Commonwealth Electronic broadcast idler

Quick listen after plug in last night. Hmmm.. ..it's quite noisy with a slight vibration from the big motor housing  even in the off position and there's some thump through the speakers when switched on.  angry My guess is the spark suppressor  has gone perhaps. I hope i can find some suitable replacement. sad The motor also ran quite hot after 1 hour.  At least the speed is ok and it sounds promising despite some rumble issue on a single ply. sad Still undecided to plinth it with birch ply or slate.

Now the postman dropped off a package from Hong Kong today. This thing is a beaut and it cheered me up. grin  Well I think i'm done with idler collecting , except may be Lenco G88. :

« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:05:15 PM by jaspert » Logged
daiwok

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 03:01:34 PM »

That's a stunning Thorens  laugh cool.  You should try the single plinth with coke support - it will sound better  than Pepsi wink

Nice to see some handy work again  smiley

May be there is something else you would like from Hong Kong  : pls check mail  wink

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
jaspert

tubey & horny

« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 03:07:38 PM »

That's a stunning Thorens  laugh cool.  You should try the single plinth with coke support - it will sound better  than Pepsi wink

Nice to see some handy work again  smiley

May be there is something else you would like from Hong Kong  : pls check mail  wink

Now should i have the Coke cans full or half empty for better sound?  grin

Oh goodies.  :grin:I will check my email straight away.

jazzy vazzy

« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2009, 11:37:51 PM »

Iv seen a few of those common wealth tables around before. To me, it looks like the best turntable in your pictures. It looks the best made, no cost cutting involved in that. I always say. "The heavier the better".

L

wesley

« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2009, 01:21:11 AM »

grin

jaspert, the commonwealth is looking great  hello2.  once you get the vibration issues worked out  headbang, i'm sure it will sound wonderful in any material happy7.

regards,

wesley

Dial out the room and you'll enjoy your music more.
fergs1

« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2009, 04:34:30 AM »

I can see one of Earles amps lurking in the background grin Yeah I've sadly watched the commonwealth tables steeply rise in price and its a bit late for me to get into the running. Yours looks nice, is that the new 12 inch Jelco on that?
                                                   cheers  fergs

Life has surface noise!
jaspert

tubey & horny

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2009, 01:17:35 PM »

I can see one of Earles amps lurking in the background grin Yeah I've sadly watched the commonwealth tables steeply rise in price and its a bit late for me to get into the running. Yours looks nice, is that the new 12 inch Jelco on that?
                                                   cheers  fergs

Yes, well spotted. I bought an Earle Weston's 300 SET amp used from ebay a few weeks back but it's going back on ebay again today.
jaspert

tubey & horny

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2009, 01:24:36 PM »

After dragging my feet for a while, i'd finally finished off the plinth today.

Not ready for listening yet tonight but should be right in a few days time.

The old thing needed a cap change and it's was bloody hard to find a suitable replacement, unlike the Garrard 301. Found one from Lithuinia (via ebay) in the end but the different size and brown colour grates with me.

jloveys

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2009, 01:32:27 PM »

Very nice work, Jaspert ! grin
Waiting for the listening test...

Jean.

JEAN ...
daiwok

« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2009, 02:46:32 PM »

Awesome ! what is the platter mat ? very cool !  cool

David cool

Vinyl is BLACK MAGIC
jaspert

tubey & horny

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2009, 04:12:57 PM »

Cheers. Give me a few days for the listening impression.

The platter mat is TTWeights' Copper mat which is a copy of the $$ Micro Seiki CU-180.
Pages:  «previous 1 2 [3] 4 5 next»   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: